I'm new here

leslieellen
on 11/16/16 12:05 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site, I don't have a surgery date set yet, for various reasons, but am in the pre-op process. I just finished my 6 mos. of POWL meetings, had my nutrition class, but am having trouble keeping my f/up nutrition appts due to several illnesses. 

I had lost 30lbs during the POWL stage, but I'm 'slipping'. I've regained 10lbs, feel overwhelmed by all the information I have to digest and am losing confidence that I can manage my life post-op. I am wanting to give up, yet I want to succeed more. I don't know how to get back on track. 

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thanks for any comments,

LeslieEllen     

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/16/16 2:59 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

There was a lot of info to digest - but it all boils down to a few things, and you only have to focus on the phase you are in -in the first month after sugery-you have to concentrate  on following those directions, you have not yet have to worry about what to do long term.  You will get the hang of it quickly.

I am sorry you are struggling in the pre-op phase.  For what it is worth, here is what helped me through the pre-op diet.

In the 3 years prior to WLS, I had just lost 120# and regained 110#.  I was feeling like the biggest diet failure ever and surgery was the only option left and I did not even know if it would work.   When my surgeon told me that I needed to lose weight before surgery, I almost screamed at him, 'WHY BOTHER, IT WILL JUST COME BACK."    Then, I thought - No, that is why I am having surgery."  The promise of having the surgery helped me make good decisions during the pre-op phase.  Also, my surgery was Dec 22nd - so my pre-op phase included T'Day, all the pre-Chirstmas parties, and my post op meant missing Christmas Eve, and Christmas day get togethers (I got out of the hospital at 2pm on Christmas Eve and was not up for anything other than being horizontal on the couch.) New Years Eve was watching TV while sucking on a SF popcicle.  It was the timing that worked best with my work schedule, but it was not fun at the time. 

Looking back, this was one a best Christmas presents ever.  WLS did not change my life - it saved it.

Always remember, first and foremost, this is about our health.  And the healthier you go into surgery, the healthier you come out.  So, whatever your temtpations are, be thinking about how they will make your surgery and recovery more difficult may help you see these things for the problems they are causing you and not the promise of how good you feel for 10 seconds.

I hope you get a date soon - that might help with the head game.

Sharon

leslieellen
on 11/18/16 4:02 am

Thank you so much, Sharon0055. You really addressed some of the issues that are bothering me. Thanks for your suggestions, too.

LeslieEllen

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/19/16 3:59 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Let us know when you get a date.  As soon as you are ready, you might be surprised and get an earlier date because someone cancelled.  On my day of surgery, the 7am person did not show up, so I got moved up two hours.  This was too short to reschedule another person, but people do cancel and those slots become open. 

Sharon

leslieellen
on 11/19/16 10:26 pm

I will post my date when I get it. Thanks for the information.

roxytrim
on 11/16/16 4:34 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Welcome aboard LeslieEllen, being active on the boards is really going to help you get comfortable with the whole WLS world. Sharon0055's posting is really solid information.

Take it one step at a time.  Adopt some new habits - chew every bite 20 times, concentrate on the flavor of the food, this will help you get in touch with mindful eating. Reduce then cut out soda, eat your protien first.  Just do those few things for the next 2 months and keep active here.  

We all started somewhere - there is alot to learn so don't get overwhelmed... baby steps 

leslieellen
on 11/18/16 4:05 am

Thank you, roxytrim. I appreciate any suggestions/information you have to offer!

LeslieEllen

Mary Gee
on 11/16/16 10:01 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Welcome aboard.  The best advice I can offer is to read as much as you can.  Be open to suggestions from those who have succeeded in reaching their goal and maintaining their loss.

Success is an ongoing battle.  I haven't goal yet, but I refuse to give up on myself.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

leslieellen
on 11/18/16 4:10 am

Hi Mary Gee- sounds like great advice. Please don't give up on yourself! I need you, for one!

LeslieEllen

Kathy S.
on 11/16/16 11:18 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi LeslieEllen,

Welcome to OH.  Let me know if you need help with the site and your profile.

Regards,

Kathy

Community Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130