Hair loss 3 months post op WLS

jackiepicard
on 11/15/16 8:49 am - Middletown, CT
RNY on 08/02/16 with

I am 3 1/2 months post op and my hair has been falling out a lot in the past 2 weeks...Uggggghhhhhhh!!! I thought I was going to be one of the lucky ones and not lose any hair loss...I guess I didn't get so lucky...God knows that I have tried everything to prevent any hair loss. I take two 10,000 mcg of biotin every day, I am also taking Bariactiv calcium D3 with magnesium twice a day, Bariactiv Multivitamin once a day, bariactiv iron once a day and Nascobal b-12 once a week (prescribed). I am getting atleast 80 to 100 grams of protein everyday and around 800 to 900 calories a day (in the beginning not as many calories). I had 2 surgeries within a year back in 2014 and I didn't lose any hair whatsoever so I know it cannot be from the surgery itself (and I had 2 other surgeries 10 or so yrs ago and didn't lose any hair then either). The reason I am trying so hard to prevent any hair loss is because I already have fairly thin hair. Not only is my hair falling out but it is also very dry now. Any suggestions on what I can use to help my hair at this point?

pammieanne
on 11/15/16 9:21 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I'm in the same boat, only I'm 6 months out tomorrow, and I've actually seen a slowing in the hair that's falling out. You'll get there too!

As far as dry hair, I saw someone mention that it is from not enough fat in your diet. That makes sense to me in a lot of ways. Try conditioning your hair with coconut oil at night, then wa**** out in the morning. I only wash my hair with shampoo 3xs a week... the other days I rinse it really well in the shower. It really helps with what kind of condition my hair is in, and also with color fading (I highlight mine).

Don't worry, it'll stop falling out eventually!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

jackiepicard
on 11/15/16 9:39 am - Middletown, CT
RNY on 08/02/16 with

I will definetly try that, thank you so much :). I hope mine stops soon also...I knew before surgery that it would happen but now that it is happening to me it's not as easy as I thought it would be...

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/15/16 9:41 am
RNY on 08/05/19

This is "telogen effluvium." Search the forums, it gets discussed very often.

Nothing will keep your hair from falling out, Biotin doesn't do a darn thing. Hair fibers, fancy shampoo, etc. might make it look thicker, but you can't stop it from shedding.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jackiepicard
on 11/15/16 9:44 am - Middletown, CT
RNY on 08/02/16 with

Okay, thank you so much :) I will search the forums for it...

Gwen M.
on 11/15/16 9:47 am
VSG on 03/13/14

There is nothing you can do.  It's called Telogen Effluvium and it's a way your body responds to trauma (it went into survival mode and, to conserve energy, stopped sending energy to your hair follicles).  You've just got to wait it out.  Your hair will start growing again.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Eggface
on 11/15/16 12:26 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

It happened month 4-6 for me... started to freak me out BIG TIME but soon I was feeling little new stubbly hairs and when it grew it was healthier than ever (curlier too, not sure what that was all about but I liked it) 

Eat protein packed meals, drink water... all good things for hair growth... it won't stop it (like the ladies mentioned above what's done is done) but it will create a healthier you in general.

Try not to stress... we notice it waaaay more than others... they are too busy looking at our body changes ;) and thankfully it's almost winter so wear some cute hats. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

White Dove
on 11/15/16 12:58 pm - Warren, OH

I was a hairstylist in the 1960's and 1970's when women were given anesthesia for childbirth.  It did some strange things to the hair.  A very new permanent would sometimes be completely straight a few weeks after they gave birth.

Most of them had hair loss starting three months after the birth and continuing to about nine months.

Now women have natural childbirth and do not lose hair afterwards.  The hair loss happens when you are asleep during surgery and hair follicles go into their resting state.  A hair in resting state takes about three months to fall out and another six months to start growing again.

Eating high protein will help with the new growth.  Biotin often causes growth of facial hair, so be careful with that.

If they could do surgery without putting you to sleep, there would be no hair loss afterward.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jennygaye
on 11/15/16 2:23 pm

Hi I'm 1 year and 2 months out and pleased to report I've lost 33.8 kilos, and my hair loss abated probably a few months ago.  The hair dresser could see where I'd lost it through the sides, now I have to be patient with the regrowth - but it is happening.

Unlimited
on 11/15/16 7:58 pm, edited 11/15/16 12:13 pm - WI
RNY on 03/29/16

** Edited to ADD this as well. Looking now at FaceBook for Godiva Secret wigs - another option is also available that I wasn't even aware off for some odd reason... they also carry this type of hair piece only $49. May just have to order it tomorrow!    http://www.godivassecretwigs.com/total-fringe/

I copied my response from another thread... update - been wearing my hair piece now since end of August and loving it =) More info below!

Check out this LINK      http://www.godivassecretwigs.com/medium-top-w-roots/

==

I had this same issue with thinning hair on my already thinned hair!! More so with the crown issue but overall - I knew I needed to do something.

Yes, I have been taking Biotin - but now I'm wearing a hair piece and it had worked extremely well for me. Many think I just got my hair colored darken with newer highlites! Saw my sister in law last night - and both my brother and her thought my hair grew back since mid-June. So actually, goes to show even though I know I have thin hair prior to this surgery (due to hypothyroid) ppl didn't really notice just how much thinning I had! People I work with closely know its a hair piece once I told them - my boss said if she didn't know me for this past year - she won't have never guessed its a wigs - looks soooo natural and real. Its been great with this weight loss and new wig!!

Here is the LINK -- take a look. Can even get Longer hair pieces as well etc. Last week, I had my hair dresser colored my own hair to make it look richer yet to match even closer to the hair piece... that basically was already "spot-on" for matching =) Who knows - I just might do this long term... I bought the ICED Mocha color -- maybe next spring I will buy this same hair piece but in the Sugar Maple color!!

http://www.godivassecretwigs.com/medium-top-w-roots/