weight loss surgery after losing my Spouse and support

mountainwolf
on 11/14/16 1:04 am

I had wls in January 2016 just 2 days before my Wife had her surgery.  We was to be each others support. But she got a pulmonary emblem (P.E.) and passed away she was my life my everything of course I have lost weight because of the surgery but I really don't know how to do this anymore. She was the brains of this I somehow lost my list of medicine and vitamins that I was on. Anyway I went from 366 lbs to 287 lbs but have since regained to 294. I'm scared that I'm going to regain what I lost.  But for my health and the honor of my late Wife I don't want to gain. I'm confused about what to try. I have heard that a person can restart with the liquid stage again and then soft food and so on. Has anyone else regained weight? And how do I get back on track?  I am humbly asking for help please. Feeling Depressed and lost.

Teena D.
on 11/14/16 5:49 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

My deepest sympathy to you. I am so sorry for the loss of your wife.

I'm pre-op so I can't speak from experience, but I think you should call your center and see if you can attend some classes so that you get your vitamins and eating figured out.  You can do this - your wife had faith in you and she knew you better than anyone does.

Good luck on your journey.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

justsonya
on 11/14/16 6:26 am
RNY on 09/01/16

I would strongly recommend making an appointment with your bariatric surgeon's office and the nutritionist to walk through what you need to do to get back on track with meds, vitamins and eating. 

pammieanne
on 11/14/16 7:44 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I am so sorry for your loss  

Do definitely go in for a check up and consult with your Bariatric Center for sure! In addition to that, please start hanging out with us here on this board, and especially the Menu post. You can see what other people eat, and get to know people better too in that one single post. If you have a local support group, you might want to try that too (although I'm guilty of only posting here because of my crazy schedule! LOL)

You can do this, and with a little direction and planning, you can still even lose more.

(((hugs)))

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Kathy S.
on 11/14/16 10:41 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

There are no words to say how sorry I am for your loss. I recently lost my husband and know the hole you have in your heart.  Your wife wanted you healthy and as you said the best thing you can do is lose this weight, live life to it's fullest and she will be with you every step of the way.  Your loss is recent and everyone says the first year is the worst.  I can't tell you how many times I have started eating healthy again and or getting back to the gym only to have something really small remind me of my husband and then I start feel so sad.  

Feeling depressed and lost is OK for now.....

What type of surgery did you have?  Let me know and I will send you the link to that surgery type forum and you can reach out to others that had your surgery and they will help you BIG TIME.

I do agree, call your surgeon, see your nutritionist and attend their regular support groups.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/16 5:35 am

((()))) so sorry Kathy

Kathy S.
on 11/14/16 10:39 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

If you have not done so, reach out to a grief support group. It really helps to talk to those that have been through this 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

jackiepicard
on 11/14/16 10:46 am - Middletown, CT
RNY on 08/02/16 with

I am so very sorry for your loss...my deepest sympathies to you. I am only 3 months out from WLS, the only suggestion that I can give is to make an appointment with your Surgeon to go over your concerns and to get in with your nutritionist to help you to get back on track...after my surgery the nutritionist give me a pamphlet with everything listed that I can eat, amt of calories suggested per day,  a list of vitamins, etc. Another thing that has helped me a lot is post op group meetings. The main thing that I have learned at the meetings is to keep a journal of all the foods you intake daily, paying close attention to the amount of protein and calories. I hope this helps...I wish you the best of luck :) 

Lauren010110
on 11/15/16 11:32 am - Victorville, CA

I am so sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Please seek support from a local support group (and keep active here!!) Anything you try, please consult with your surgeon to make sure you are going about it the right way; It would be best to allow your surgeons office to support you in that aspect. Many of us go through weight regain, it's just hankering down to those feelings we experienced when we were initially going through this process. start a journal and talk to your wife daily. Put up positive affirmations around the house, things your wife would tell you to show her support. Many hugs of support from Southern California! Please feel free to add me... I am here for you!

Vinasu
on 11/15/16 1:44 pm
RNY on 08/10/16

I am so sorry. I cannot begin to imagine your loss.

Take this step by step.

1) Call your doctor and get a list of medicines and vitamins, and ask for their eating plan. 

2) Look into therapy, either one-on-one or in a support group.

3) Start planning all of your meals. Make it a ritual. When I wake up Sunday mornings, I refill my pill box and write a shopping list.

4) Track all of your food intake in myfitnesspal.com. Get the app. Then, follow your Dr.'s caloric guidelines.

Do you have someone to help you? Or are you completely on your own? If you've got someone with you, ask them for help, but give specific tasks: "I need help finding two high-protein, low-carb dinner recipes for this week" or "I need someone to walk two laps through the mall with me on Tuesday and Saturday." or "Please do the grocery shopping for me so I wont be tempted to buy something not on the list."

HW: 250+ SW:215 (W leaving hospital: 224!)

CW: 138; DR GW: 166; MY GW: 130

M1: -20, M2: -8, M3: -14, M4: -11, M5: -8, M6: -5 M7: -7 M8: in progress