traditional nontoxic remedies for GERD and helpful foods

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/16 6:40 am, edited 11/13/16 6:48 am

GERD seems to a big problem for many of us pre and post bariatric surgery . What remedies and food choices help to  keep the pain away for you ? 

home remedy : a tiny bit of baking soda dissolved. in warm water

milky ( nonfat milk) herb tea particularly sleepytime or chamomile ( please keep in mind too much chamomile causes side effects in the gut ) 

mint tea with milk nonfat

probiotics particularly Miso soup a great low calorie bodywarmer and snack also yogurt

fat free homemade clam fish or corn chowder - 10 minute prep microwave high two potatoes 12 min peel and mash saute one onion till transparent add mashed potato 2 cubes chicken stock and 2 cups organic chicken stock 2 cans minced clams and juice or frozen fish and/ or fresh corn cut off the cob three tablespoons butter buds or to taste a touch of white pepper or greek seasoning to taste . cook till fish is done ( 8 minutes or so ) add 3/4 envelope dried nonfat milk powder reconstituted with 1/2 cup water ( or you can use fat free half and half but that has sugar. very soothing and filling nonfat comfort food with carbs obviously . 

almost any kind of vegetable - particularly broccoli cauliflower and carrots. 

including sliced water chestnuts ( low carb! ) in asian dishes and yucca and beans in Spanish ones ( not low carb but not too bad weiight or insulin spike wise ) definitely soothing to the stomach

cooking very lowfat particularly at home . fats rebound for me with massive quantities of stomach acid and pain in a few hours which for me results in overeating . 

beer as opposed to wine 

tea vs coffee with lots of nonfat milk or nonfat half and half

what works for you guys? 

AK_Gipson
on 11/13/16 7:52 am
VSG on 04/14/14

Frequent small meals / snacks

no acidic foods esp tomato based for me

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/16 8:13 am

Totally agree about the tomato - sauces and even salsas can really bring it on. 

I make my tomato sauce Milanese style " vodka sauce " so called - after cooking mix in fat free cream ( nonfat powdered milk and butter buds mixed with small amount of water or fat free half and half and butter buds . Cuts down the acidity a Lot ... Which also means you need to use less fattening Parmesan /reggiano cheese 

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/13/16 6:45 pm, edited 11/13/16 10:58 am

I bought pondered calcium carbonate. I use that to neutralize the acid in tomato based product.  

I make and eat meat spaghetti sauce. I put it over zoodles.  When I cook it - after it is made I add some powdered calcium carbonate. The acid works with that and not only turns calcium carbonate in more bioavailable calcium - but prevents GERD. And GERD I have. Even now..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 11/13/16 11:24 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Peppermint soothes the stomach, but some doctors say it can also relax the esophageal sphincter, which can cause acid to wash back up.  I guess it depends on the person.

I actually found a low carbohydrate and high protein/fat diet works far better for my GERD.  Any time I raise my carbs it comes back with an unholy vengeance.  Staying lactose and grain free also made a huge difference!  Hala gets the credit for that one.  She changed my life with that suggestion and it worked!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/13/16 11:33 am
RNY on 12/31/13

HALA is the bomb.

She's a great source of support and information.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/13/16 11:51 am
I don't have GERD....except when I take high doses of Vit C suppliments.

OMG IT WAS THE WORST!!!! I started taking 1000 mg a day, but my blood work showed I was on the low end of normal (slightly deficient, but just really really low). I thought I was developing an ulcer.

I started having to take prilosec 2 times a day, and was about to go to the doctor. After reviewing what was eating, I realized it was ALL started when I started taking a separate Vit. C tablet.

I stopped taking the C and it took a full month for the symptoms to go away...but now except when I travel...I typically do not get heartburn.

On the vit C note. I started eating foods that were just higher in C...and using a lower dose suppliment (I drink 2 bottles of water with a Vit C flavor packet added to it every day...they only have 100 mg of C...but it brought my C levels up in a month).

Scott
H.A.L.A B.
on 11/13/16 6:57 pm

A lot of times our body truer to make more acid when we eat food that is hard to digest or food we may be alergic to - sensitive to. 

GERD also could be a symptom of bacterial infection of the stomach/small intestine, or even Candida. 

Low fat diet - but high in carbs may be really bad idea for that. Rather food fat, easy to digest proteins, and some cooked veggies may really help. 

Some food seams to work - I.e milk products - but that is because of calcium that reacts with acid.. But the sugar in milk - may cause a rebound effect - initially seams to help - but and hour or 2 later it is much worse, because of the sugars in milk. 

Beer? If it works is because it is a liquid with alcohol that can numb the contact area. 

Any alcohol when person experience GERD is not a very good idea IMO. That may seem as it is helping- but in reality can cause serious damage to already irritated stomch/esophagus.  

Pepermint tea helps Some people - but it can be irritating for others (like me). 

Ginger works great - as long as person tolerates it. Ginger also helps with inflamation and healing. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/14/16 10:48 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Just because something is "natural" or "traditional" doesn't necessarily mean it's a better treatment. :)

Both beer AND wine should be pretty much off the table post-op.

Be careful with lots of tea; the tannins can prevent the body from absorbing iron appropriately and that can be a problem for WLS patients.

The International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders (whew, what a mouthful) has a few suggestions of good foods to eat to help with GERD:

• Vegetables that aren't onion or tomato
  • Lean meats that are grilled/baked/etc.
  • Healthy fats like olive and soybean oil

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/16 6:13 am

I like the rainbow farting toaster cat lol! 

Thanks for sharing about the tannins and iron . For what it's worth Ferro- sequels that are Not elemental iron but made of four different more readily absorbable iron compounds really work well for me . 

I was anemic basically all my life ... These green coated pills are the only form of iron that has ever actually worked for me . And I can tell I took one literally the next day because I feel much more energetic .