This is why we grieve....politics

Vinasu
on 11/11/16 3:49 pm, edited 11/11/16 7:50 am
RNY on 08/10/16

My kids go to a school where 3 in five kids speak English as a second language. All communications are sent home in English, Russian, Vietnamese, and Somali. Wednesday afternoon, my daughter came home weeping because the kids are so afraid. 

She wanted me to tell her that her dad, who is not a US citizen, will be able to stay in the country. We're white, middle-class, heterosexual, culturally Christian (if actually atheist). We'll be fine. If the ACA fails, we always had insurance. If he builds a wall, it won't tear apart our family. If he destroys the Department of Education, one of the more bizarre campaign promises, we can send them to private school.

Then, she asked me about her friend from school, a Somali Muslim. I couldn't make any of the same reassurances.

So I got to talk to my kids about white privilege and about why the odds of us being directly affected are slim. That's a lot to lay on two weeping children who think their dad and friends are going to be exiled forever.

I've had Trump supporters (my own family) tell me that it's all just showmanship, that that stuff will never happen. Unfortunately, the rhetoric hurts, and the rhetoric implicitly gives permission for people to act on it, even if officially unsanctioned.

I understand why people voted for Trump. American life and culture is changing. The economy is changing, and he promises to bring back prosperity to areas that have been left behind. In turn, though, I hope Trump supporters understand why the other half of the country is so frightened right now. 

HW: 250+ SW:215 (W leaving hospital: 224!)

CW: 138; DR GW: 166; MY GW: 130

M1: -20, M2: -8, M3: -14, M4: -11, M5: -8, M6: -5 M7: -7 M8: in progress

sheriberi29
on 11/12/16 6:08 am - Cleveland, TN

This is so true ! It puts into words I couldn't express to all of those around me that do. It understand my absolute devistation over this election and it's results . To most , I appear as a white, middle income stay at home mom living in Tennessee and loving Christ . They can not understand that the Christ I love and follow requires us to love one another as Christ loved .... he did not love only those who certain people judged as worthy to love ... he loved us all . My family came here from Italy with out papers to Pursue a quality life and live the American dream where everyone is equal and has a chance to live the life they work for . 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Pokemom
on 11/14/16 8:54 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thank you for posting this.  I wish I had time to write my own thoughts more fully. I also feel like I have had a punch to my gut.  I keep trying to write a brief response, and I just can't.  So I need to not write anything at all.  Just to say again that I thank you for this.  I also feel afraid, astounded, alone.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/14/16 12:21 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Something I read that stuck with me:

The more-than-half of voters who did NOT vote for Trump did not suddenly go away. We're still here.

You're not alone. 

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/17/16 2:26 pm
Yes, and it's a good thing the Republicans won both the House and Senate too. I can't wait to see who he puts in place for the Supreme Court! Maybe somebody that will interpret laws, instead of legislating From the Bench.
ILoveFlowers
on 11/15/16 10:49 am

One of the things I love about Obesityhelp.com is that it is centered on the common needs of weight loss surgery patients and their families as related to weight loss surgery and weight loss in general.  We can talk about weight related issues and vitamins and even the odd subject that comes up that may or may not be weight related--such as non surgical victories and flatulence--maybe even a little plastic surgery thrown in there for good measure.  Unfortunately, politics and religion are not related to weight loss surgery.  So far, nothing has changed.  People are mourning over something that has not yet happened.  Aristotle, when facing his own death, said he was not scared.  How could he be?  He had never died before.  There are 365 verses in the Bible that tell us to not be afraid--that God is taking care of us.  No matter your political affiliation--Donald Trump is going to be our next president for the next 4 years at least.  None of us are mind readers.  We don't know what will happen.  It may be great----then again, he may do something so horrible he is impeached.  There is no use worrying about what may or may not happen.  We can't change it, we can't stop it, the matter is totally and completely out of our hands.  In Al-Anon, when a family member is distraught about what to do when their loved one is drinking, the advice given is clear.  Do the dishes.  Vacuum.  Clean the house.  Go to work.  Don't borrow problems from someone or something over which you have no control.  So instead of worrying about what may happen in the political arena, let's measure our food, exercise, follow our diets.  Let's do what we can about what we have control over and stop worrying about issues we have no control over.  We can deal with the other when and if we need to.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/15/16 2:23 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

What is also great about OH is that you can post about whatever you want & it doesn't have to be weight loss related. Forum nannies are extremely frowned upon here & once you've looked around for awhile you'll know what I'm talking about.

Politics was clearly in the title of the post so you could look at it or pass it by, but no one other than oh has any jurisdiction over what someone wishes to post.

Just in case you didn't know pre existing conditions like obesity is weight related & is something that was a concern among many people here. Kinda a concern when all thru out his campaign was to get rid of Obamacare & replace it with something great, only recently has he backed off of that stance, just like a typical politician.

Enjoy your day, but don't tell me what I can post.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

mute
on 11/15/16 3:10 pm
RNY on 03/23/15
On November 15, 2016 at 6:49 PM Pacific Time, ILoveFlowers wrote:

One of the things I love about Obesityhelp.com is that it is centered on the common needs of weight loss surgery patients and their families as related to weight loss surgery and weight loss in general.  We can talk about weight related issues and vitamins and even the odd subject that comes up that may or may not be weight related--such as non surgical victories and flatulence--maybe even a little plastic surgery thrown in there for good measure.  Unfortunately, politics and religion are not related to weight loss surgery.  So far, nothing has changed.  People are mourning over something that has not yet happened.  Aristotle, when facing his own death, said he was not scared.  How could he be?  He had never died before.  There are 365 verses in the Bible that tell us to not be afraid--that God is taking care of us.  No matter your political affiliation--Donald Trump is going to be our next president for the next 4 years at least.  None of us are mind readers.  We don't know what will happen.  It may be great----then again, he may do something so horrible he is impeached.  There is no use worrying about what may or may not happen.  We can't change it, we can't stop it, the matter is totally and completely out of our hands.  In Al-Anon, when a family member is distraught about what to do when their loved one is drinking, the advice given is clear.  Do the dishes.  Vacuum.  Clean the house.  Go to work.  Don't borrow problems from someone or something over which you have no control.  So instead of worrying about what may happen in the political arena, let's measure our food, exercise, follow our diets.  Let's do what we can about what we have control over and stop worrying about issues we have no control over.  We can deal with the other when and if we need to.

"We can't change it, we can't stop it, the matter is totally and completely out of our hands.  In Al-Anon, when a family member is distraught about what to do when their loved one is drinking, the advice given is clear.  Do the dishes.  Vacuum.  Clean the house.  Go to work.  Don't borrow problems from someone or something over which you have no control.  So instead of worrying about what may happen in the political arena, let's measure our food, exercise, follow our diets.  Let's do what we can about what we have control over and stop worrying about issues we have no control over.  We can deal with the other when and if we need to."

But actually we CAN change things. How do you think literally anything happens in the country if this is how everyone thinks - that it's out of their hands? You can do whatever you choose to or want to do. I chose to donate immediately to the ACLU and Planned Parenthood. I chose to find a group for the first time in my life that is involved in politics and am actively trying to get involved.

Because I cannot let racism, homophobia, sexism, and/or misogyny win. He may be in the White House for the next 4 years but that doesn't mean I have to be okay with it or be quiet about it.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

ILoveFlowers
on 11/16/16 6:19 am

Please read Hillary--The Other Woman by Kitty Kelley.  It will open your eyes.

mute
on 11/16/16 6:58 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I actually didn't mention HRC. my eyes are very open where she is concerned as I am an educated woman *****ads and searches out information on all sides as long as it is accurate. She has plenty of faults. But going to use hyperbole here and pretty much mean it when I say at least she won't cause the next world war. 

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds