Hiatal Hernia & GERD

AK_Gipson
on 11/9/16 3:20 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

I make a protein pudding to eat before bed with meds.  It's enough to keep the acid in check and bonus, protein! 

Sugarfree banana pudding

2 cups milk (almond doesn't firm up, will try reg milk next time)

2 scoops of banana creme zero carb isopure protein powder

10-12 plastic 2 oz shot glasses with lids 

i got 12 glasses last time, about 1 1/2 oz each, 31 cals, 4g protein

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Grim_Traveller
on 11/9/16 4:44 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I forget the name, but their is a specific gene that some people have that makes it so they metabolize PPIs very quickly. No amount of PPI use will help gerd if you have it. It's a simple test you might want to think about.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/16 6:05 am

That's interesting Grim. I had a huge hiatal hernia / gerd issue before surgery that rebounded viciously with omrepazole . 

Hiatal hernia repair during my RNY really helped me but I still feel burning occasionally when I drink fruit juices or red wine and soda. 

It does worry me that it's getting a little worse .as the years pass .. But I eat a ton of otherwise healthy stomach acid promoting things like hot curries,diced up ginger and garlic, coffee and particularly spiced black tea lattes. 

in Europe people treat Gerd by drinking a swallow of  sulfur containing spring water when they feel the problem. It tastes incredibly nasty but works like a charm and doesn't cause the rebound effect of anti-gerd medications.

Tums works too although it's not a form of calcium our post bariatric bodies can absorb . I'm a little scared to introduce too much calcium to my body - there are so many bad documented side effects and risks of everything from osteoporosis to arterial plaques. 

I would recommend consulting about hiatal repair surgery with or without revision to an RNY . ((()))) good luck