Hiatal Hernia & GERD

bruindiva92
on 11/8/16 12:36 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Just an update from my September 2016 post.  

I have a hiatal hernia and GERD.  I've gained 11 pounds since my January 2016 visit to the surgeon.   Nutritionist gave me a new GERD meal plan which eliminates coffee (both caffeinated and decaf).  Coffee has been my one true pleasure since I am still unable to drink plain water, lemon water, coconu****er, water-water (you get the picture)!

I can focus on non-fat milk and decaf teas (really?) My dear friend brought me some great decaf tea from China which I am enjoying. I have to start looking for some other great teas. 

I am also tired all the time and my body aches 24 hours like I have the flu. My bloodwork comes back great each time so we are working to demystify this issue. 

I stopped the omeprazole because it made no difference.  The fogginess has lifted and I feel a bit sharper at work.

I am happy to know what the majority of the problems are.  Now, I can work on solutions.  If surgery is the fix, I will schedule it in 2017.

Otherwise, life is good!  

Grim_Traveller
on 11/8/16 12:54 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Thanks for the update. I hope this gets fixed. Keep us updated.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

bruindiva92
on 11/8/16 2:25 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Thank you Grim!  I see these as small challenges I can overcome.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/8/16 3:16 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I figure that these kinds of challenges are far better than the challenges would have been if I had kept gaining weight.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/8/16 5:41 pm
My dad had a hiatal hernia issue all his life (it was repaired 3 times). He would often throw up after eating too fast. Have you searched to see if another medication can help. I know that sometimes Omeprazole is just one type...there are a few..and some work better than others for some people.

The elimination diet does help. Hopefully you will not need surgery.

Scott
bruindiva92
on 11/8/16 5:55 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

I hope your father is doing better.

The surgeon is thinking about putting me on a prescription PPI.  He wants to see the results of the upper GI that I have scheduled for this upcoming Monday, so we will see.

I am starting the GERD diet tomorrow.  I am going to miss my coffee!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/9/16 5:30 am

Green tea usually do not bother me.  

I have a severe GERD and drink coffee.  I don't drink a lot and I use acid tamer in my coffee if my GERD is very active. I had to give up so many foods, and drinks. 

Once you feel better - cold brewed coffee is suppose to be less accidic. And if you drink That with milk (at least 2%, not skin) the calcium in milk can deactivate most acids. )

For me - milk has too many carbs. I would not drink that. I don't drink that. I use coconut or almond unsweetened milk. Of I need to add but flavor - I may add a few drops of stevia or even 1 small tsp of honey. 

But the only time I add honey (liquid sugar) when I am below my weight goal or need some carbs to stabilize my blood sugars. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

bruindiva92
on 11/9/16 2:36 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

H.a.l.a. B.,

Thank you for this post.  I do like cold brew and I usually add vanilla protein shake instead of milk.  I am preparing for the new GERD diet and wrapping my head around no more coffee for now.

I am searching for some non-caffeinated teas--

AK_Gipson
on 11/9/16 6:57 am
VSG on 04/14/14

I am on prescription protonix and prescription Zantac, everyday. Both work on acid issues differently. You can try Zantac over the counter, if you ask your dr.

Also small meals throughout the day, instead of 3 larger ones. This 1) gives the acid something to do and 2) doesn't let it build up in an empty stomach causing pain. 

But I do believe I would have to discuss the no coffee thing again... I love my decaf :) 

lipton also makes an instant decaf tea that is good cold. My Walmart "hides" it on the bottom shelf :) 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

bruindiva92
on 11/9/16 2:39 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

AK Gipson,

Thank you for your response.  I do eat smaller meals which helps but if I don't eat close to bedtime, I don't get any rest.  I will speak with my surgeon regarding other PPI's.

I will check out the Lipton...thanks for the tip!