High Blood sugar, Dumping Syndrome question?

sunshinespring
on 11/5/16 7:50 pm - Bay Area, CA

I have one more question please, 

I have dumping syndrome since I had my surgery back in 2008 (RYN)  the sympton's however got worse with time, i try to eat a clean way

green vegetables, no sugar, little carbs and only good proteins I cannot even drink milk anymore I used to be able to drink non fat and now I can't 

My doctors said could be pre diabetes,  my sugar level was 145 fasting; maybe not super high but i do feel weird lately I feel like I am dumping but is always before i eat and after I eat, :( shaky, sick to my stomach, sleepy, panicky, sweaty, shortness of breath, 

any input please, has this happened to you how you fixed it?

White Dove
on 11/6/16 4:40 am, edited 11/5/16 9:41 pm - Warren, OH

I believe you are experiencing low blood sugar episodes.  You need to get a meter and test when you have those symptoms.  I would also have glucose tablets on hand to correct low sugar.

If these are happening about thirty minutes after eating a lot of sugar it may be dumping.  If they are happening before meals and without a lot of sugar, it is probably low blood sugar.  Metformin may be prescribed to help balance blood sugar.

Low blood sugar episodes can lead to coma or death, so get a meter immediately. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/6/16 7:29 am

What she said... 

And low blood sugar can lead to dizziness and passing out.  Really dangerous when you out, or driving.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sunshinespring
on 11/6/16 1:51 pm, edited 11/6/16 5:52 am - Bay Area, CA

Thank you for replying actually I cannot longer drive due to this issue I get light headed and I avoid by all means, I live life with this feeling and always telling me "Just in case" I don't drive

i am not sure how to explain to my doctor in a way she can take me serious and test me for watever it is that's causing me this

AK_Gipson
on 11/6/16 12:48 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

I know for diabetics 145 fasting isn't low. It isn't that high. 90-110 is ideal. But you might want to start testing before you eat each meal and definitely during one of the "dumping spells". If you can you might also want to check your blood pressure, while it is happening.  My dad has a wrist unit at home.

The "sweaty" "sleepy" "short of breath" worries me as I just had to take my dad to the er about 2 weeks ago. He had several of these symptoms. His blood pressure dropped dangerous low ... Like 86/45 low. 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

sunshinespring
on 11/6/16 1:49 pm - Bay Area, CA

Thank you for the reply I am really worried and specially having to wait for my doctor to take me a little more serious, I am buying a meter and a pressure wrist taker and maybe once I have the numbers I can bring it to my doctor,

thanks so much for the reply 

Donna L.
on 11/6/16 2:04 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

If your doctor won't offer help then demand it.  "I'd like to investigate this further because I can't drive.  This needs to be fixed ASAP!"  Don't be a jerkface, however don't be waffly either.  You can definitely demand that this gets looked at more closely, particularly as it could be one of several things.  It is imperative if you cannot drive too.  That's a basic life function its impairing and the doc needs to step up their game.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

sunshinespring
on 11/6/16 2:21 pm - Bay Area, CA

I agree Donna, but with the county doctors is a struggle I had a job and due to anemia couldn't work anymore and lost my job and insurance it took me a lot of fighting to get to an hematology referral and I brought this issue to my doctor in hopes for some help and they just bounce me around, she's aware I haven't driven in 2 months, I'm so frustrated and worried 

Donna L.
on 11/6/16 4:15 pm, edited 11/6/16 8:16 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Ughh, I'm so sorry :( It sounds like you have been through so much.

Do you have medicaid since you lost your insurance?  If you have medicaid most states will allow you to request a case manager.  The case manager will help advocate for you.  I would call and ask for case management if you do have medicaid and explain what the issue is and what is going on.  Also, you have access to transportation via medicaid for non-emergency medical appointments.  Most also have a nurse line you can call. 

I work in crisis intervention as a case manager and part of what I do is advocate for patients.  Definitely use the services if you can.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

sunshinespring
on 11/6/16 6:28 pm - Bay Area, CA

Thank you so much for the advice Donna, I didn't know I had those options, I have Medical and will reach out to the info line to see what they can do to help me, thank you again!!!