Weight gain

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/1/16 4:33 pm
Exactly.....they need to be more supportive.

Scott
Beam me up Scottie
on 11/1/16 5:52 pm
BTW I apologize others on this forum have utilized it as an oppporunity to attack you and me. You should contact your original surgeon and see if he has any advice as well. Your issue is very common with the RNY. Just search weight regain...and you'll see 100s of posts from RNYers facing the same thing.

Scott
LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 11/3/16 9:53 am - plymouth, MN

I hope to be helpful to you Linda without starting controversy of my own doing. That's NOT HELPFUL to ANYONE. 

I do believe that where bariatric surgical patients get in trouble with not regain itself, but trying to remedy it, is they don't realize history will repeat itself, if they don't find out the various reasons that play into what they eat. And WHY they eat.  And we all vary on how we respond to our wls after it. 

Most of us can prove that we can be compliant to a drastic diet for awhile, but there's so many complex reasons why people gain weight after wls. It's not just burning more calories than consumed, etc. 

I gained almost all my excess weight back, almost a 100 lbs, starting at almost 7 years post rny, due to meds. However in the last 7 years while I've bounced greatly, I've kept off almost 70 lbs

I had to make my peace I was NEVER again going to be a 2/4 on average, but after being both a size 24 before and after my rny, I didn't want to get a size that would make life more uncomfortable for me than it already is. I didn't even with metabolic and thyroid issues as a hinderance even though I'm not on any meds that are notorious for weight gain, to keep weight cycling. 

At the same time, I did NOT want to micromanage everything I eat, drink and with exercise. That would NOT be good for me to be that obsessed at this point in my life with it. For some people where their weight gain is unacceptable and is more of physical and mental health hazard, I can tell you people that I have social media ties with who are more rules followers and they do help a lot of people, if you think it's helpful. 

I don't make any money, not that I'm saying that I'm better or worse for what I do or believe in, in what I say on the internet regarding wls matters. What I'm trying to get across to you or anyone else who might relate, is that you'll have to trust that you will do what's in your best interest. Whether it's getting all the weight you want off, some of it or none of it. I wouldn't dream of putting limitations on ANYONE's weight loss journey. I went from being someone who should've been known for being a bariatric specializing Certified Personal Trainer to someone who 6 years ago had to have their rny REVERSED to save my life, with my weight either being too high or too low not in consideration of my reversal.  My sister had rny 10 months after I did, had to be compliant for the 1st year, can eat everything and in great quantity and just has to be firm in her commitment to exercise in the last 5 years to maintain 95% of her excess weight. 

So I know better than anyone not to bash ANY of the surgeries. Anybody's experience after the wls, either good or bad or to rush to judgment that people regain weight due to what they eat. As my initial major regain, I couldn't eat much (but I wanted to/tried due to those meds) and threw up everything I ate and still managed to gain almost all my weight back. 

So this is my wordy way of saying, figure out what you need to do to be your happiest and most balanced. And try to figure out why you or if you have health issues that could sabotage that. If you don't do that first any of the sacrafices you make for weight loss, probably won't last long term, or if they do, it's done without balance and your just as miserable being smaller than you are at your current weight. 

Hope this helps.Peace