Weight gain

Ladytazz
on 10/31/16 5:51 pm, edited 10/31/16 10:53 am

I had a DS in 2002 and completely lost my health plus regained 100 lbs.

I was revised to a RNY in 2010 and I am healthier than I have ever been and maintaining for over 5 years.

The difference has nothing to do with the surgery.  I was not compliant with the DS.  And the DS is the worse surgery not to be compliant on.

I am compliant on the RNY.  The DS does have the best long term stats for weight loss but you forget to mention that it has the worse long term stats healthwise if you aren't compliant, not just with eating but with supplements and follow up.

I decided to go with the RNY in the end because that is the surgery that has been around the longest and it has been tweaked along the way to reduce a lot of the side effects while increasing the the overall success of the surgery.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/31/16 6:26 pm
This was the diet I was talking about:

http://www.5daypouchtest.com

People use to swear by it.
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/31/16 7:25 pm

Blind leading the blind...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/31/16 7:40 pm
Yes all those DARN blind RNYer graduates...who are desperately wishing they thought twice and cut once, and got the DS, because they got the surgery that failed them.

Really, you are being vile and malicious (hahahaha they use to call me that)...but to criticize your own people because they are trying to return to the basics and jump start their weight loss?

Why are you being so mean? Their surgery obviously failed them, so they need another option......I've seen many RNYers go on medi fast, WW, and similar type diets to try an fight regain. Not everyone has been as successful as you with the RNY. Congrats on your success, but stop beating up your own people.
H.A.L.A B.
on 11/1/16 4:03 am, edited 11/1/16 1:39 am

Just because some had RNY does not make them "my people" stupid is stupid regardless of surgery he/she had.  I know smart RNY and stupid ones. I know smart DS-ers and stupid ones. The ignorant.

The smart - nice, good - are "my people" .. Regardless of what surgery they had. 

If someone chose to be a gluton and wants to eat copies among of calories and food to satisfy whatever drives them and chose to have DS - I say - good for them. If it is working for them... Great..they chose wisely. 

VSG- If someone wants restrictions - and gets that - and its working for them? Perfect choice... For them. 

Every surgery has good and bad points. Everyone of them.  

I knew DS-er who wasted away and are either dead or dying or needed reversal.. Weight regain on someone who had RNY is less evil than dead or close to death.. Don't you think so? 

I know SMO who did not have surgery and who never should have any WLS because - iMO no WLS would work for them. Until they are ready. 

Don't label group of people or procedure as "crapy" or stupid choice when you don't understand how it works. 

I had RNY - do I think it is a great surgery? Hell no.. Is it effective doing what is suppose to when someone works on it? Absolutely.   

Is DS great surgery? I don't think so... Is it effective for someone who works with it? You bet it is... 

Same as VSG.. 

Even the band - as much as it has bad publicity and it has a high failure rate - can be effective for some people... I know a few... 

Grow up...stop being ignorant...learn some stuff... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MarieQuiroz
on 11/1/16 3:46 am

Try doing some exercise at regular intervals. Increase the intake of fiber rich foods, fiber helps in weight management. Plus consult your regular doctor as he will help you with health issues.

Kathyjs
on 11/1/16 6:53 am

Wow! The word bullies come to mind. Be kind . People come here for support. I had RNY at Mayo going on 14 years ago now. I am at goal.i eat roughly 1000 calories a day. I exercise and not a day goes by I don't know I had surgery. My restriction is as good today as it was the first 6 months. My blood works shows I am low on vitamins so I upped them a bit. I am almost 67 now. You said you lost 70 pounds after surgery. Did you reach goal? Now to those of you who are bashing others , shame on you. 

Grim_Traveller
on 11/1/16 11:24 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Isn't saying "shame on you" just another way of bashing someone?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/1/16 1:35 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

rocky513
on 11/1/16 11:44 am, edited 11/1/16 4:44 am - WI

Kathy,  You weren't around OH during the infamous "surgery war" years.  I was a newbie and it was AWFUL.  Friends of mine were ridiculed for having revisions from DS to RNY and many times reduced to tears. The DSers tried to make anyone that had any other surgery but the DS feel stupid. Many of us were afraid to post questions for fear of being made to feel like we didn't choose the "right surgery". There were many  DS people permanently banned from participating in OH because of their nastiness.  They went off and formed there own online family (dis-functional as it may be).  

This guy is a throw back from those days.  We recognize him and he's trying to start the nastiness up again.  Shame on you for encouraging him without knowing the back story.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010