Weight gain

Grim_Traveller
on 11/1/16 5:39 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Welcome! RNY is the best thing I've done for myself. I've lost almost 300 pounds, and my weight at each of my physicals since reaching goal have been with one pound. I've never been the same weight for this long. Ever.

Diabetes is gone, cholesterol is great, blood pressure is actually a little low. There isn't one negative so far.

For the record, I've never "sharted" (WTF??), or know anyone that does, nor do I pick anything out of my butt. (Is that actually a thing???!!).

Outside of the band, there are great success stories with every surgery. RNY has been fantastic for me.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/1/16 8:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/31/16 1:03 pm
On October 31, 2016 at 2:45 PM Pacific Time, Beam me up Scottie wrote:

I was only reporting what was being tossed around on graduate board.

On the other hand..I am familiar with the RNY anatomy which is the reason I tell people not to get it! It's a crap surgery, with poor long term results, and a strong possibilty of mechanical failure. But I guess I shouldn't say that too much, because telling the truth usually means someone is trying to start a "surgery war". But I guess anyone with eyes can see that within the last few weeks there have been several posts from RNYer that have regained almost all of their EWL back.

Scott

yea.. "Crap RNY surgery" ..keeps my weight 5 lbs below my goal, with 20-21% body fat (very lean - excellent for a woman). My labs are perfect... my skin is nice.  And I do eat what I want within my own eating plan.  I have great restrictions (as long as I don't eat crap) and my bone density is is close to a woman in her 20's...  so.. I guess 

And you are what? 20 lbs regained? with the "Perfect surgery?" how is that possible?  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/31/16 6:37 pm
Well after losing 300 lbs and keeping it off for a decade without dieting or exercising...i think a 20 lb bounce back is actually less than the expected 10 percent.

On a side note...i already lost the 20 lbs. A few weeks of low carbing and bam. Done.

BTW no surgery is perfect....WLS (any type) generally is just better than dying a slow death from Morbid Obesity.

Scott
Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/31/16 4:28 pm

You are just stirring **** and you know it. How is RNY a crap surgery? Please give citations and statistics supporting your assertion.

You bang on about the thousands of calories a day you consume. Whoopee. There's more to life than seeing how much we can stuff in our gobs. DSers can and do regain. It's not a magic surgery.

You don't want an RNY? Fantastic. You didn't get one, so you've got that going for you, which is nice. You say you aren't trying to start a surgery war, but here you are, opining about how bad the RNY is. Those that chose the RNY and are considering it are not negatively impacting you and your choice, so what are you getting out of this? If you are really that concerned, post about the glories of the DS when people ask which surgery you had or would recommend. Don't insert your negative bs every opportunity. It serves no purpose other than to make people less likely to listen, if you are trying to spread the gospel of the DS. 

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/1/16 4:26 pm
If you note, I was attacked straight out of the gate. Not the other way around. I only said the RNY is a crap surgery, because it is. It's time has come....shoot the old girl and put it down. Getting rid of a perfectly good pyloric valve and replacing it with a stoma....why? Get a VSG/DS with a longer common channel. You just want restriction...get the VSG.

Anyway, I was not on the attack....apparently the high and mighty people here feel that the RNY is untouchable. Even hint that it is a crap surgery (which it is) ...you get pounced on. On another note, why wouldn't you warn people? Eating 1000 calories a day otherwise you regain weight? I mean if you could do that all along.....don't have WLS!!!!

Just sayin'
Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/1/16 5:18 pm

Y'know what? You remind me of the days when I first arrived here on OH and Dianna Cox and her gang berated everyone who didn't have a DS, often after the fact. Those days are behind us; let's not resurrect them. 

I don't give a fig what your OPINION about RNY is and why you are so vituperative. If you have FACTS about RNY, post. Don't make passive-aggressive remarks. It's stupid and childish and serves no purpose. 

I read through the comments again. You weren't attacked. You were corrected after spouting outdated information.

Why do you think it's your place to 'warn'people about the RNY? There are a lot of people here who will give new folks the good, , bad, and ugly. I will for certain.

Your statements imply DSers eat lots of food and don't regain, so it's magic. Bollocks. NO WLS is magic. Effort is required for all of them.

Times have changed a lot since you were last here, it seems. 

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/1/16 5:46 pm
Outdated info....please..>RNYers have had the same issues since I've been here. PPPPPphhhttt.

Anyway, you can feel free to ignore me. I'm not Diana Cox, but I'm sure she would revel in the fact that you remembered her. ...and appreciate it. She obviously made an impression.

Again I was attacked....if you are unhappy with your surgery....don't take it out on me. I was just trying to be helpful to the OP.

Scott
Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/1/16 6:04 pm

She made an impression as exactly what kind of person NOT to be, so if that blows her skirt up-that she's remembered for her wretched behavior and as a horrible warning-then bully for her. 

I like my surgery just fine.

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/1/16 6:31 pm
I met Diana in person....you'd be fortunate to be 1/2 as kind as she is.

She helped dozens of people file appeals with their insurance companies to get WLS.

Scott