Trying to loose weight

katrinaj
on 10/28/16 10:04 pm

hi, i am new to this forum, I tried eerything to loose weight in the past 10 years. After having my baby, I gined a lot of weight.....I tried walking, diet....I cant run anymore because I am too heavy...my joints hurt...I am afraid I will not be able to work anymore

my work is very stressful....

did anybody here successfully loose weight?

Ladytazz
on 10/29/16 2:36 am

The name of the group may be a bit misleading because we are obese people seeking help but many of us are here because we have chosen (or suggested) to have weight loss surgery.  I'm not sure that is an option for you or even if you should consider it since I don't know your story but there is a Non-Surgical Weight Loss Forum but I don't think it is very active.

As for your question, I think it is safe to say that we have all tried to loss weight and for the most part been successful.  I know that I was an expert at losing weight having lost 50+ pounds more times than I can count.

As you can guess the problem was never losing weight, although it did get harder and harder as I got older.  The problem has always been keeping the weight off.  There are countless diets and programs out there for weight loss.  Not a whole lot for maintenance of that loss.

The statistics are abysmal.  The long term success for keeping excess weight off for 5 years is something like 5%.  So that means that 95% of the time the weight came back and always brought along friends.  A 50 lbs weight loss usually meant a 55 lb regain somewhere down the road.

Weight loss surgery is not magic.  It is not a quick fix or cure.  It is a treatment option, probably one of the few options out there that has any rate of success, which in the weight loss surgery world means something like a 50% chance of keeping off the excess weight for 5 years.  Not great numbers but better than 5%.

And it takes work, as much work as before surgery.  The difference is you have a tool to help you do the things you need to do to successfully keep off the weight.  For me that means that even 6+ years down the road I can eat less food and be satisfied.  And for me (and about 30% of gastric bypass patients) I get very sick (dumping) if I eat things with a lot of sugar in it.  And I don't know about you but a lot of sugar is the only way I know how to have sugar.

So, stick around and ask questions and talk with your doctor and see if weight loss surgery is even an option or something you should look into.  As far as losing the weight, and hopefully keeping it off, I had some success in the past with support groups like OA.  For me it was a realistic approach to my eating issues because for me my problem wasn't my weight.  My weight was a symptom of my problem, which was food and how I used (and abused) it.

Good luck to you!

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

JaxLiving
on 10/29/16 5:10 am - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

Ladytazz had the perfect response! I too have lost tons of weight over my lifetime, but gained it back each time. I had gastric bypass on May 27 of this year, and have lost 61 pounds. As she mentioned, weight loss surgery is not magic, but it is a great tool! I have been very happy with my results so far, and would do it again in a heart-beat. If you're interested in the possibility of surgery, you might want to check with your insurance company. Many will cover weight loss surgery. Good luck with whatever avenue you decide to pursue!

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/29/16 6:19 am

When I was younger I always lost weight when I went on a diet and exercised. But I never kept it off. I always gained. When I reached premenapouse - in my 40's - I could not l8nger lose weight consistently. I would lose 2-3 lbs and then gain it back...

That why I decided to have RNY - gastric bypass surgery.  In one year I lost the 110 lbs I needed to lose. And I maintain that more or less for the last 8 years. 

But...I also developed some heath issues that may or may not be caused by my RNY.  Issues that I don't think I have before...or if I had that - to what extend. 

8 years post op - I am still on a diet - a proper WLS (weight loss surgery diet) because if I don't follow the rules I gain weight as easily as before I had the surgery. 

I have friends who had the Same surgery and gained back at leat50% of what the lost. They are still consider a success because they lost 50% of what they needed to lose. 

Some gained all THE weight back and simply gave up trying... 

When I chose the right type of food I can only eat app 1.5 cup of food.  But chips, sweets, desserts - I could probably eat non stop all day and not feel I am full. 

Post op WLS is still a diet. But WLS gave me a tool ..a small pouch /stomach..and as long as I chose my food wisely...I can maintain..or lose some pesky 2-3 lbs I gained. (if I gained)  That was not the case before RNY. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/29/16 6:24 am, edited 10/28/16 11:27 pm

Check this post - it has links to the info about the 4 most popular weight loss surgeries. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6012792/FAQs-for-surg ery-types/

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/29/16 8:22 am
Yep lost weight and kept it off for over 10 years, but I did it through surgery- diet and exercise alone didn't work for me.
katrinaj
on 10/29/16 12:57 pm, edited 10/31/16 8:11 am

is there anybody who is vegan and still obese? My friends recommend I SHOULd try to become a vegan...but i know it is not easy.....they say vegans are naturally leaner than meat eaters.....

is that true? Has anybody tried tapping?

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/29/16 2:31 pm

Before RNY...I decided to be vegetarian... I gained 20 lbs...so my terapist suggested cleaner - Vegan..

Once I become began not only I gained an additional 30 lbs in 6 months but I both really tried, dealt with recouring yeast infections..and I was hungry all the time... 

Began - that was too many carbs for me.  

Now I eat proteins: meat, fish, eggs...  Fat - from meat, nuts, avocado, olives.... And non starchy veggies..

I have some fruits... Just enough to not lose too much weight. 

My body is very efficient to store any carbs...sugars. 

Now that I don't eat that - or rarely eat that - I have to remind myself to eat. 

Some people do great on vegetarian or vegan. But I haven't met a long term really healthy vegan.

I know a lot of people who were vegan or vegetarian but who ended to stop that due to health condition. 

Now they eat meats and fish - in moderation...but they are no longer vegans. 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/30/16 3:51 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

The people that have replied above, I think, gave excellent responses.

You are communicating, for the most part, with people who have dieted on EVERY imaginable diet for years and mostly decades with no lasting success and finally turned to surgical intervention because that is the ONLY method with scientific success.  You may need to have more diet experiences before you find lasting success (good for you -you hit the jackpot and you are one of the lucky 5% that can keep the weight off) or failure before you can accept that you are not one of the lucky 5% that can keep their weight off.  If you came to the conclusion that you are NOT one of the lucky 5% that can keep it off, then weight loss surgery maybe something for you and your doctor to look into.

So, when you talk about vegan diets - or any other diet you can imagine - someone on this website has tried it and it did not work, or they would not have had surgery.  So, you probably will not many favorable reivews here for non-surgical weight loss.  We have tried them all and they did not work for us.  We finally gave up the futile hope that the next diet would work and got a medically proven solution.  That being said, weight loss surgery is a help, but long term you still need to watch calories and exercise.  Surgery is not a magic bullet against obesity, but it improves your odds for keeping off at least 50 pounds form about 5% to about 75%.

Best wishes for your weight loss journey.

Sharon

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/29/16 2:55 pm
All the research points to the fact that people that do low carb diets lose weight...low carb diets are traditionally meat and veggies.

I also tried becoming a vegetarian- and gained weight. A lot of "healthy" foods are high in calories and fat and sugar (both natural and artificial- like HFCS).

Scott