Would you have approached this person and told them about WLS?

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/22/16 7:36 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Sometimes, I wish I had a pin to wear that says,  Go ahead, ask me about WLS.

Sharon

z_m14
on 10/22/16 4:36 pm
RNY on 07/05/16

Even though you had the best intentions, it would not be wise to choose to talk to her about WLS without her asking.

Unsolicited advice about my weight prior to WLS was always unwelcome. We never know someone's situation, so you shouldn't judge her and feel the need to approach her about her weight. It would've made me feel really crummy if a complete stranger came up to me and talked to me about losing weight. 

Eggface
on 10/22/16 5:09 pm, edited 10/22/16 10:10 am - Sunny Southern, CA

No but I get it... I remember the first time I went to the County Fair post-op... the reality hit me... that used to be me standing on line for the latest deep fried something-on-a-stick with a side of powdered sugar and washed down with 1/2 gallon of colored corn syrup. I cringed. I wanted to scream "Hey everyone you gotta hear how awesome life is on this side of the fence" and lead the masses to the bariatric surgery Holyland like some sort of Bariatric Jesus (feeling so awesome will do that to you) but then I thought about how I would have reacted to someone trying to share their "new healthy religion" with me... and I would have probably shoved my something-on-a-stick up their &%^ LOL ;) I wasn't ready to make a change until I was ready... and maybe she will be ready one day (or maybe not.) 

P.S. Most people know that potato chips aren't the best choice... she knows too. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

SkinnyScientist
on 10/24/16 2:04 am

No but I get it..

-You do!  You really do!  And you get the awesome feeling, the feeling of a body that now works and can do what you ask it to do and how the corn syrup is awful and wanting to help people.

Thanks for this post!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/22/16 8:59 pm
No....absolutely no....

You don't know her whole story, she could have 1 month to live..and she wants to go out with a bang. She could have no medical insurance ...or have a condition that makes surgery impossible.

You might as well stand in the train point at her and say "YOU FAT PIG" and try to shame her into weight loss. Speaking to her about this without being asked will cause the same amount of discomfort and awkwardness.

If you really want to help, become her friend. Engage her in conversation....maybe she is lonely and she eats the chips to fill the void. It's hard to eat and chew at the same time.

Scott
supershopper
on 10/24/16 9:52 am

If they specifically ask for your input, then yes. I've talked to two coworkers heart to heart about it because they ASKED and I gave them as much info as possible. Also offered to go to the free session with them if they wanted company.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8