Meds and Vitamins

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/20/16 7:56 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Chewables are fine. There are several companies that make chewables targeted towards adults (NOT Flintstones vitamins!), including Centrum and Bariatric Advantage. Many people switch to chewables immediately after surgery because they have trouble swallowing larger pills, so it's not at all unusual.

You'll want to start vitamins ASAP after surgery. Hell, start them now if you're pre-op and get those good habits of taking them every night established. Deficiency is nothing to mess with!

Ask your surgeon about the diabetes meds; he/she can give you guidelines. You'll have blood work done at each appointment and there will be many checkups post-op, so the doctor should be able to tell you directly when to stop the diabetes.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cosmos2112
on 10/20/16 1:54 pm

Thanks Julie. I found out at my final pre op appt I'll be instructed what vitamins I will need. I called the office today as there was an issue with my insurance. 

Kathy S.
on 10/20/16 12:10 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Unless I missed it I don't see how far out you are from surgery.  If you are within a year check with your surgeon, as they are all different on what they want you to take at different stages of your weight loss.  Chewables are a good option and I use the patches and they have worked great for me.  

Keep us posted on how you are doing...

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Cosmos2112
on 10/20/16 1:55 pm

Thank you. Surgery is planned for end of this December. 

Kathy S.
on 10/20/16 2:07 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Thank you, it will help if you add your surgery type and date. You can do that by clicking the * in the upper right hand corner, settings, medical history.

I would do "exactly" what your surgeon advised at this stage. They are all different and recommend different things.  Since the surgeon you are working with knows your medical history go with what they say.  

Keep us updated on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

justsonya
on 10/20/16 12:33 pm
RNY on 09/01/16

My program tells use to use chewables (daily multi, b-12, calcium citrate) for six weeks after surgery, no matter which type we had. After six weeks we can resume with normal pills/capsules.

We start our vitamins the day we go home. Within four weeks, most of my bloodwork had adjusted to show low cholesterol, my pre-diabetic markers were gone and my blood pressure was much better.

Cosmos2112
on 10/20/16 1:56 pm

Thanks. That is fantastic news for you!