First Post-New Member-have a few questions...

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/16 6:56 pm

If you have a Costco near by - they have Chicken stock and Chicken bone broth. Both really good 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Jammur
on 10/18/16 6:56 pm
VSG on 10/12/16

Thanks for all the replies.

After reading this I have decided to stop the fruit juice. The ensure I was talking about was a clear fruit flavored protein drink. It only has 8 grams of protein, but it is clear. I am sticking with this.

The best advice I got was to get some soup from my local Chinese restaurant. I only ate a little, but wow, did I need something that tasted good and was hot! I can survive on this combination for another week.

One more question: I take several pills and my advice was to crush the pills, but the medication I take (for diabetes, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, high cholesterol) all say do not crush. Any advice? Anyone know what the consequences are of taking full pills? My blood sugar as been all over the place and I think it's because I have not been on my meds and have been attempting to adjust my insulin as needed.

Valerie G.
on 10/19/16 4:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I had no limitations with pills when I came home from the hospital, and was told to start my vitamin regimen of 12 horse pills immediately.  It was difficult at first, but I was able to take one at a time....taking my sweet time doing it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Scififiend
on 10/19/16 11:41 am
RNY on 10/11/16

Don't crush if it says not to, especially BP meds. Then your pressure can bottom out before going sky-high. Call your PCP (or whoever prescribed them) ASAP and find out what they want you to do. They might be ok with crushing, or they might want to switch you to a crushable immediate release in a smaller dose that you take more often. 

HW: 408, SW: 384, RNY: 10/11/16

Donna L.
on 10/22/16 2:26 pm, edited 10/22/16 7:27 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The clear ensure is super high in carbs (35g a bottle!) That's how many carbs many of us have in one day - or less.  That would also be why your blood sugar spikes.  It is almost 100% sugar.  The sugar outweighs the nutrition you are getting, sadly.  Ensure in general is a bad protein drink for us trying to lose weight.  Being morbidly obese the last thing we need is sugar carbs of any sort.

The pharmacist and the nutritionist told me to crush pills, but my surgeon said to not bother post-op, and I resumed capsules ASAP.  For me it was no issue.  Call your surgeon's office ASAP and ask about the full pills.  Each has a different protocol.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Teena D.
on 10/19/16 5:43 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Have you thought of making your own roth? It's very easy.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Sarahakers11
on 10/19/16 10:01 am, edited 10/19/16 3:03 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

Unjury has a chicken soup protein.  Its not great but its better than all sweet stuff.  can you make your own juice?

Also you always have a right to complain or ask why you didn't see your surgeon.  Mine didn't remove my gall bladder but he wanted to see if I could keep it.  It never did cause me problems so I still have mine! 

Make a list of questions to ask and don't be afraid to ask any of them.

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/21/16 10:14 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Ideas for clear liquids:

• Sugar-free Mio drops
  • Crystal Light
  • Sugar-free Kool Aid
  • Sugar-free lemonade (mix or bottled)
  • Tea (hot or iced, no sugar)
  • Gatorade G2
  • Boullion
  • Water with lemon juice or cucumber slices
  • SF popsicles and jello (they count!)
  • Isopure protein drinks (premixed or powder)
  • Syntrax Nextar protein drinks (powder), they have the consistency of Kool Aid

My favorite broth is a consomme in a yellow tub, it's sold in the grocery store with the kosher stuff. Can't recall the brand, but it's far less salty than the stuff you buy with the regular soup.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Donna L.
on 10/22/16 2:26 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I could do Syntrax on the clears, and it has great protein and near zip sugar :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life