Is it me or the surgery???

Donna L.
on 10/16/16 9:32 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The thing is that the body adapts, regardless of surgery, and old habits may return. Grit counts for a lot.  So does support and motivation.  I think support is nearly as important as grit, and so is environment.  I actually think environment counts for more than we give it credit for, especially close to the date of surgery.  With poor or negative support you can have even the DS and fail miserably.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/16/16 10:14 am
Any weightloss surgery requires a long term commitment. ...period, the end.

During my first 2 years I took advantage of the "honeymoon period". I ate right and exercised. I got to my goal weight and then relaxed....probably a bit too much. I should have kept working out, not for weight loss, but to stay fit and slow down the aging process. At 10 years out, I don't do any of those things- except make sure I'm eating enough protein and taking vitamins. I have been conscious not to drink my calories. I never drink sugary drinks. On a side note, I just started going back to the gym after 5 to 6 years. I'm a lot less flexible, and lot less strong and kind of wished I had kept up at least a maintenance fitness routine (if there is such a thing!!!).
roxytrim
on 10/16/16 10:35 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

You might surprise yourself Beam me Up.  I didn't start seriously swimming until 58 and started pumping iron to help with swimming.  It took more time than in my 30's but I'm in better shape now than I have ever been.

Go Geezers 

Valerie G.
on 10/17/16 4:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I still give credit to my DS surgery at around 97%, 11 years post-op.  I'm mindful not to get crazy on bad stuff, but I pretty much eat whatever I want.  Formal exercise bores me, however I enjoy an active life.  In other words, I don't work at anything at all.  I regained all of 14% of my ewl, and remain a size 10 from my smallest at size 8, which pleases me immensely, and still ahead of average statistics.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Grim_Traveller
on 10/17/16 7:28 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm not sure this can really be answered. On the one hand, not one of us had a chance of losing all the weight and keeping it off without surgery.

On the other hand, lots of people gain back all their weight, even without surgery.

So, it really takes both. So, I'm calling it 100% surgery, and 100% me.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Josh H.
on 10/18/16 8:33 am - Merida, Mexico
RNY on 12/20/05 with

I like this question and it really got me thinking. 

For me personally, at just short of 11 years, I'd say it's almost all me. I fell very little restriction and I'm ok with that. At this point it is watching what I eat, making conscious decisions at what I put in my body, portion control and the gym life are what help me maintain.

I credit the surgery 100% for my WEIGHT LOSS and 100% myself for the MAINTENANCE. As it is a tool for weight loss, not a "keep weight off" tool. That's where grit steps in.

462/449/200

"I'm not ashamed of where i've been but proud of where i am!"

Kathyjs
on 10/18/16 11:56 am

At over 13 years I would say its75% surgery and 25% me. There are times I really would love to finish a meal and I would if my pouch didn't give warning signals to stop immediately. I am careful about what I eat because I want to be healthy. 

SkinnyScientist
on 10/19/16 7:21 pm

2.5 years out. 90% grit and 10% surgery.  Potato chips, chocolate, donuts, french fries adn crackers audibly speak to me. They do!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Pam G.
on 10/21/16 3:59 am - Pierre, SD

Thank you for posting this question and all the answers.

I'm almost 7 years out (RnY) and have been super struggling with "getting back into better habits". I had a bleeding ulcer caused by a staple and a stitch irritating my pouch this Spring and some severe back pain limiting very much movement.

My weight has been stable (at goal +10 lbs) but think if I could get back into taking my vitamins and eating better I would feel better emotionally and maybe even physically but its so hard cause even 15 min in the kitchen has my back in such pain. 

I appreciate those that said 100% surgery and 100% grit, guess I need to get my grit going. Thanks for sharing!