Update and funny story!

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/16 10:12 pm

Thanks everyone for the well wishes on the Egd! It went well! Apparently they think I have Celiacs disease and GERD type B. So RNY it will most likely be for me!

But I also want to share a hilarious story from the hospital while I was still high on sedation. Apparently as I was being wheeled back to my room I kept flashing people and yelling "I LOVE FLASHING MY BOOBIES!" Haha and then on top of that, my nurse came in and told me that I could change but I wasn't allowed to leave for another 20 minutes and needed to wait for a wheel chair. Well I guess I got impatient. So I got myself dressed and just walked out of the hospital room only to run into a sign in the lobby and knock it over. They staff couldn't find me and called security. They found me soon enough. Haha ;) crazy part is I really don't remember any of this (except falling over the sign!) but there is video evidence that my driver/friend took. Haha :)

missc_26
on 10/14/16 1:50 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Oh lordy tgat sounds hilarious.  I am so glad I grew up without cell phones to video everything... Might see you on YouTube sometime lol.

But seriously glad you are ok and have some answers to move forward.

One Bad Beach
on 10/14/16 7:20 am, edited 10/14/16 12:21 am
RNY on 11/28/16

When I had my EGD, I remember them strapping a little tube thing to my head to hold between my teeth...and the music.  When I woke up from sedation...the music.  I told the surgeon, "I like you.  I fell asleep to the Beatles and woke up to the Stones. Great taste!" LOL

When the nurse was taking the heart monitor leads off of me, she went down the top of my gown and brushed her hand across my left breast.  When she realized, she apologized.  I told her, "Don't worry about it. I'm used to it. I used to be a stripper!" Not completely true, but funny anyway!

Now, I wish I would have flashed my boobies! 

rachelp
on 10/14/16 9:15 am
VSG on 08/01/16

OMG this is all hilarious!!! This is actually something I worried about when I was having tests done LOL. I think I'm too serious to let this happen 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

cici123
on 10/14/16 1:51 pm

Thank you for sharing your flashing story  I remember worrying about what I might say or do while under sedation for a minor foot surgery a couple of years ago.  I was worried that I might use bad language or make some kind of lurid confession.  Well, I did perform, but it turns out that basically gave the surgical team a lecture on neurolinguistics.   I like the booby flashing much better!!

Donna L.
on 10/14/16 2:44 pm, edited 10/14/16 7:45 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I guess that's why they won't let me drive after my EGD... heh.  I remember one time in 2004 after I had surgery for MRSA and they removed my bellybutton, While still on anesthesia I called everyone on my phone to tell them "I had an amputation!!" and then hung up abruptly.  Good times.  Needless to say, they kept my phone away from me in recovery when I had my VSG.  I was apparently asking to see a pony at one point.

Welcome to the Celiac club.  It can cause GERD on its own apparently, which I was unaware of.  The GI doctor said that I may not have to revise the sleeve if that is the case, however I have no idea what the bariatric surgeon thinks of that...I will defer to him and my EGD results.  We'll see how my EGD goes.  I'm hoping it's celiac induced and I can make the argument for the DS/hernia repair resolving it from the weight loss and, well, hernia repair.  We'll see.  Also be aware that there is gluten in a lot of vitamins and meds.  Finding gluten free vitamins has been exciting and fun.  I still am working on the meds.  Down to 3 meds daily including my PPI.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

NYMom222
on 10/14/16 7:36 pm, edited 10/14/16 12:40 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Funny story! So curious, how do they know you have celiacs from the test? Never heard of GERD type B... so will have to look that up.

Edit: Couldn't find any definition of GERD type B- even though it comes up as a suggestion when I typed it in Google.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/16 5:28 pm

Well there are two ways they diagnosed me. When I got to endoscopy they noticed that my villi (which normally look like tiny fingers) were collapsed and flat. This is a symptom of Celiacs. They then took a little of my stomach lining (I think)  and did a quick biopsy to confirm. 

I meany to say GERD LA grade B. Apparently there is a new "grading" scale to describe the severity of acid reflux. The range is none, A, B, C, D. D being most severe. There is a way they determine which you have but I dont remember the specifics. :)

NYMom222
on 10/15/16 6:43 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Thanks for answering!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save