Less tolerance for ass-holery?

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/18/16 6:23 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Exactly. I love how now we are inconveniencing others by saying "nah-uh, not doing that". 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/16 5:25 am

I understand about feeling like a ***** I think we are less tolerant after surgery. Myself it was not putting up with bull**** I think I was growing a backbone. Standing up for myself instead of going to eat something.

It is good you saw that you are a stress eater. A lot of us are in denial. 

WLS is stressful. We are learning who we are again. I hate to bring this into the discussion. But when I stopped drinking people really got on my nerves. I feel like I am growing up. I feel like I am learning who I am without alcohol and food. 

Some situations it is best to walk away. Some people will not getting what you are going through. Walking away sometimes is better than a confrontation. I will also go and do something for me. 

Emotions suck sometimes. So do people. 

Kudzu
on 10/13/16 5:51 am
VSG on 07/28/16

I'm finding myself going through this as well. I figured it was probably hormone dumping. I'm much less tolerant of things than I use to be. An incident last week when I was at Sam's club; the cashier kept trying to get me to upgrade my membership card and I politely declined, three times. On the fourth time, I snapped and asked her what part of no did she not understand. There have been a few similar things like that with family, friends and strangers. Maybe it'll pass, maybe not. Might be a good thing if it sticks around.

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 12:53 am

There's nothing wrong with holding people accountable to do their job correctly, especially after you've given the same answers 3 times already. I would have done the same thing maybe even sooner.

Embrace your inner *****! It's there for a reason and often justified.

Gwen M.
on 10/13/16 7:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think it's a lot of factors like others have said.  I know that therapy has helped me immensely with these things.  There's the hormone dumping, of course.  The lack of food to comfort myself with also.  

And, for me, I think there's also this feeling of "dammit, I'm doing all these things to be a better person and **** you for still being an asshole."  Which, um, is an asshole way for me to feel, eh? :P  But I feel like there's this thing going on that because I'm taking control of my life to be a better person, I have less patience for people who aren't.  Clearly I need to work on my definition of "better person."  

I do have a strong feeling of "I don't have time for this ****" that I didn't used to have.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/13/16 7:38 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

"I do t have time for this ****" sums it up perfectly! I wasted so much time feeling **** about myself that now I have no time for BS 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

SkinnyScientist
on 10/13/16 3:03 pm

"dammit, I'm doing all these things to be a better person and **** you for still being an asshole."

OMG!  I love this. I LOVE this.  I am trying to be a healthier human, better wife and colleague every day.  Key word:Try. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't. But then there are those that DONT try. Or worse, they seem to try to be the most selfish piece of scum of the earth.

It gets over-bearing and overwhelming.

That is usually when I need a vacation or to go to my "Fortress of Solitude" (aka a really really really long run/walk in the woods, or the ice rink).

Sometimes-I would liek to just nuke the planet. Start over...

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Insert Fitness
on 10/13/16 7:49 am

I have to say I don't deal well when any adult who turns their nose up at food they didn't make haha.

But This is one area my Bariatric centre was great about. The behaviourist kept coming back to this. Our emotions are going to run wild for a while. And as others have noted, it manifests in a lot of different ways. there are so many factors that contribute. Hormones, losing food as a distraction and coping mechanism, increased confidence and self worth etc. But also:

Food has been something to share and bond over for many of us. So when you and your partner aren't on the same page, it can lead to friction, feelings of isolation etc. 

We are putting so much energy into our new lifestyle, it has to come from someplace else. For me, it's made me less tolerant of time wasting behaviours, in me and others. 

Feeling in control. For some of us, this is the first time in our life we feel in control of our life and future. But as we all know, we can't control everything. Like coworkers, other people's choices etc. We have to learn where we can exert control, and when to release it.

all that rambling to say, it's normal, the more open you are about how you are feeling to your family, the better. 

supershopper
on 10/13/16 7:50 am

yessssss. I have noticed this as well. If something bothers me now- you better believe I'm going to say it.

my DH has said I was 'nicer' and 'more fun' before.... whatever.... I speak my mind and I'm not sorry about it. I was tired of 'not confronting' people who hurt me before.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

chassibi
on 10/13/16 9:20 am

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate you all!

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150