New and just getting started

queenb39
on 10/12/16 3:42 pm

I have my first seminar tomorrow at Piedmont Hosp. in Atl.  Any advice from anyone or any tips..I would really appreciate it.  I am starting to get excited.

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/12/16 6:07 pm
Look at all WLS options not just the one that the surgeon performs. There are VERY different surgeries and surgeons are business people/sales people. They will sell you on what they have, not necessarily what is in your best interest.
T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/12/16 8:15 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Hello & Welcome to the boards!

My advice in addition to seminars is to do your own research, read, read, & read some more. This is a very big step. I think you'll also have to look at your past dieting history & think if you were able to lose weight on a restrictive only type of diet or was every pound a struggle? I only mention this because not everyone does well with a restriction only type of procedure & they need the malabsorption to get them over the hump to get to & stay at goal.

Look at the pro's & cons' with each surgery, take into account your medical history/condition. If you have Gerd, the vsg can make it worse, there is a higher chance to get gerd with the vsg & its kinda a crap shoot as to who gets it or not.

Also if you have any emotional attachment to food seek therapy/support now rather than later. Most people prepare themselves for the physical side of wls & forget/neglect the emotional side to it. Also keep in mind things like cross addiction, often people swap out food & replace it with alcohol to deal with life stresses, a very, very bad problem & something to be aware of b4 you get into this.

Check out the magnifying glass in the rt hand corner as your post to some degree has been asked b4 & you'll see a lot of responses.

I chose the VSG & am very happy with my choice. Good Luck in whatever you choose to do. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/13/16 3:39 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I agree completely with T!  I searched constantly on OH to get answers to my questions (and still do).  I waffled between VSG and RNY due to GERD and loving sweets, but decided on VSG for me (I'm glad I did).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Gwen M.
on 10/13/16 7:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Read everything you can.  Talk with people who have had WLS.  Find a therapist.  The surgery will change your stomach, but it won't change your brain.  Use the time when weight loss is easy to work on fixing whatever it is in your brain that led you to obesity or else you'll end up back where you started once the weight loss stops being easy.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)