Changes in sugar tolerance over time?

Grim_Traveller
on 10/14/16 3:07 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I am the Prince of Monotonous Diets. So far, it hasn't caused any issues.

It's when I go off plan that RH hits. Simple, crappy carbs. A little ice cream is the worst. It took me about 5 times "experimenting" over the last few years to finally stop. But too much of other stuff will give me the symptoms.

A small amount of sugar alcohols doesn't bother me, at present. But it doesn't take a lot to push me over the edge with those, either.

Ribeye is magic.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/12/16 8:12 am

The RH, more sensitivity..plus possible developing food allergies...and even SIBO..

Eating the same things over and over makes us exposed to the same chemicals. 

Year 2-3 I had the worst dumping - RH..then  it got better year 5 and so on... 

Stress plus low iron also made me more sensitive to anything. Stress - tired adrenals - can cause severe hypoglycemia and food intolerances. 

At the same time - too much dairy every day caused dairy allergies... I can have some now (cheese) but for 3 years I was avoiding that. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/12/16 11:19 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

HALA there are so many things that ring true for me in this post I am a bit staggered.  Seriously.

I think that I may have eaten myself into a tough place - I eat the same things day in and day out when I am at home.  I had horrible RH end of year 1 thru year 2 and then nothing as I thought I knew what to avoid so only had a few minor issues thru year 3.  But now it is almost every day and it is after stuff I have been eating day in and day out all three years, so yeah, I'm going to chuck my meal plan and begin again.

You know that I am under a lot of stress recently with the move and I am struggling with low iron.  So ding ding ding!

And I eat more dairy than I should to get my protein in and to maintain my weight - so again DING!

I am going to start to eliminate and then replace things to see if this helps.  

Thank you for always taking the time to give out such great insight.  I really appreciate it!! 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/12/16 8:16 am

Adding about sugar alcohols: I don't tolerate any. Even erythritol. SF gum..no way.. Even small amount of SA in chewable vitamins hurts my gut... 

Lactose and fruits used to affect me...now I years post op - I can eat a lot of fruits (some, not all) and not feel like I am going to die. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

The Salty Hag
on 10/12/16 8:52 am
RNY on 05/20/13

The last time I tried sugar free gum was awful!! It contained sorbitol, I think, but I know xylitol makes me sick now too. I made something with it and the results were not pretty.

If I get sensitive to erythritol, I'm going to be pissed...lol.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

SkinnyScientist
on 10/12/16 10:13 am

Interestingly, I have a whole drawer of SF gum to smack away on.  It is so weird how different things affect different people.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

White Dove
on 10/12/16 9:51 am - Warren, OH

I had a lot of problems with Bariatric Advantage supplements.  I found out that they contain sorbitol and maltitol.  The label says Polyglycitol Syrup.  I was disappointed because I considered them treats.  I now use Unjury or a patch.  Once I quit the BA supplements, the gas and bloating went away.  Check the label on your protein supplement to see if it has sugar alcohols listed.  

I believe most of the gas problems people have after weight loss surgery are from sugar alcohols in supplements targeted for us.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/12/16 11:00 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I take Bariatric Advantage and yes it is full of that stuff.  And some days, not all even my multi vitamin makes me burb and bloat like crazy.  

I guess I've been under the illusion that since I avoided all sugar, fruits and sugar subs for the most part I had it sorted.  

I think I am going to switch over to the patch entirely and see how that helps.  Thanks for all the good info!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/14/16 11:04 am, edited 10/14/16 4:06 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Just wanted to add something else into the mix.  You know, because you aren't overwhelmed enough already.

Weird thing when my ferritin drops too low: I get sick from the foods/supplements I normally eat all the time.  The main feelings?  Dizzy, bloated and slightly sick to my stomach.  I first noticed it with my calcium supplements (I use the Berry ones from Celebrate) -- but even my homemade greek yogurt, shrimp and coffee with milk in it would bother me.

In fact, by the evening, the bloating would be so uncomfortable that I took to really not eating all day for a while.  I actually felt better the less I ate.  I already eat a VERY low carb diet.  I did the meat challenge without much issue because I pretty much just eat that way.

I also thought that I was having RH -- but since I was a insulin dependent Type II diabetic (edited to make clear that I am in remission now), I took to testing my blood post prandial three times a day and fasting -- and I wasn't dropping low, nor was I going high.  So, for me at least, RH wasn't likely to be my issue.

I will say that once my ferritin levels were more stable and over about 40 or 50 (which is still too low, IMHO) -- all that magically stopped.  The dizzy, bloating, sick feeling was gone as quickly as it had come on.  I have recently become fuzzy thinking, dizzy, fatigued, etc again -- and my recent ferritin/iron showed that I have again dropped.  That was my first clue that caused me to get testing done asap.  Oh, that and the unrelenting headache.

In the past 2/3 weeks, I have felt bloated,shaky, dizzy -- and I have lost 12 pounds without "trying" -- I am awaiting my hematologist appointment.  

I am just adding this experience as another thing to look at as a cause.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/15/16 11:14 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Holy cow. This is exactly how I've been feeling. Bloated (like I look 6 months pregnant and and bent over in pain bloated), off food, dizzy. And just out of it. 

And my ferritin dropped from 53 to 14. Huh. 

Thank you for all this info. Gives me a bit too much to ponder but it can't be a coincidence seeing as you and I must be twins from another life. Wierd. 

Ive been so bummed trying to figure out why things I've been eating for years were making me feel like **** Wow. Low iron? I really need to get this sorted. Hope you get your infusion ****tail and feel better soon.