Sad at the Activity

kyzze
on 10/12/16 7:42 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

I've only been on this site for a little over a year so I don't know anything about "the good ole days" but I like it the way it is now. True you may not always get a response right away when you post a question, but usually someone will answer you. As for the redundant questions, well sometimes its good to re ask a question because info gets updated. I really appreciate the most active ones and the veterans who help out us newbies, Grim, T Hagalicious, Eggface, just to name a few, there are others. I plan to stay on for the long hall and hopfully I can eventually be an inspiration to others.

Kyzze

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/16 10:09 am

I have been coming here for about three years. I know there are some who come here and are thinned skinned and don't want to listen to a vet. I will say I was one of them. I deleted my profile then came back knowing I needed help. 

Also I think it is similar to AA you have to come here to help yourself when helping others. I go to AA meetings at least three times a week. I am seven months sober. I know participating in a program that helps others does help me. 

I am grateful for this website. I am grateful for the vets who have helped me. Also I am grateful for people who were just new here who would support each other. Just to say I had the same thing happen to me. Or you need to get off your high horse and come back down off of it. 

Support is a big part of healing. I have learned a lot about myself. I am not cured of my food addiction. It is just one meal at a time. 

Coming here not just on a yearly basis to show how well your weight loss has been does help. I just wish that they would come here on a regular basis and show their progression. Seeing an end result is great but it is nice to see the progress. Also to hear how something someone did helped them when they were in a pinch. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/12/16 12:14 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

As others have sort of pointed out, you're pretty much preaching to the choir here-- the people reading this are the ones who've stuck around.

The Internet is a far bigger place now than it was 10 years ago, so no big surprise there. Plus I seem to recall reading some research (sociologist here) that folks generally maintain social networks for shorter periods of time now than they did 15 - 20 years ago (citation needed), so that's not too surprising either. Broadly speaking, it's not anybody's fault, nor is it something to be up in arms over; that's just the changing nature of social structure and communication.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Steph Meat Hag
on 10/12/16 1:46 pm, edited 10/12/16 6:47 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I agree, with the social networks being shorter term now.  Back on 2000 I would check a couple forums or groups I belonged to every day and felt a deeper connection with those people.  I often spoke of them with real life friends like I knew them.  But for instance this group of people I lump together as a collective sum of people when speaking about a topic brought up on here.  "Oh I was reading a post from someone on OH" it's not a certain person like it used to be.  Thinking about it makes me a little sad really.  I have however found a small group of people on OH that I keep straight in my head who are starting to have names and stories associated with them, and that makes me happier. 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/12/16 5:27 pm
yes that is a social issue for sure!!! Thank you for your commentary.

I was just making a commentary in general- there is a need for support (daily support) when you start out with any WLS. I just don't think you get that from snap chat posts.