Sad at the Activity

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/11/16 7:40 pm
10 years ago...i drank the kook aide! There were no long term DSers around. It was a "new" surgery that few surgeons could perform. Now it is everywhere, that is a good thing.

I am a bit concerned about the VSG becoming that gold standard. Not that it is a bad surgery, I get concerned that for SMO people, restriction alone is just not enough. You can out eat almost any restriction- but I'm glad that the VSG has overtaken the lapband! That is a huge improvement.

Scott
Kudzu
on 10/12/16 4:55 am
VSG on 07/28/16

My surgeon, and I've heard many others, tout that the VSG will become the new gold standard. It'll be interesting to see as time goes by. We VSGers are all pretty new compared to the current gold standard. I'm just out of the chute, but I'm praying like hell for lifetime success with this. 

Grim_Traveller
on 10/12/16 5:26 am
RNY on 08/21/12

A couple of years ago, I was convinced the VSG would become the gold standard too. Today, I think it will be the gold standard for surgeons, but not for patients. I see an increasing number of issues with VSG, especially rapidly increasing numbers of acid problems. It still works for most people, but I would no longer recommend it to a friend. The likelihood of needing to revise to RNY down the line is just too great.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kudzu
on 10/12/16 5:35 am
VSG on 07/28/16

Yes, definitely among the surgeons. It seems to be like wildfire with them these days. I do see a lot here with increased GERD post op, but so far, for me, mine has greatly improved. I certainly don't want any revisions down the road. 

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/12/16 5:24 pm
Yes I noticed that a lot of people post about that issue! I wonder why. DSers have VSG on the stomach side and it was rare that any of us (back in the day) had GERD issues.

I know they have chanced the way they do the VSG. My surgeon basically cut my stomach in half. It was the shape of a banana. I can eat as much today in 1 sitting as i could before I had surgery (or at least almost). Today they make the VSG very very small. I'm wondering what is causing that issue.
Kudzu
on 10/12/16 5:59 pm
VSG on 07/28/16

Not sure. I see people here post not to get VSG if you have GERD preop. I had it for years and my surgeon thought this surgery was the best route for me. So far, so good. 

Starry Eyed
on 10/11/16 5:58 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

I'm still a newer member, but I can say the OH community has provided me with a ton of information from so many viewpoints (some that I never considered) and support when I needed it the most.  Lately, I've been just lurking and reading posts for a couple of reasons:

1. I don't feel like I have anything new to add to what people have already said.
  2. Sometimes I think of posting, but there are many times that I have read the posts of others and responses are something like "do a general search, this question has already been addressed."  So, then I decide not to post.  
  3. When I have medical questions I ask medical professionals (this is often the response anyhow).

For now, I will stick to exchanging recipes and sharing NSVs unless I can add something new to a post.  

I guess my suggestion is to "be the change you wish to see" and if you think the boards need some life, go for it and start a conversation.  Best wishes!

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/11/16 6:41 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Luv that Ghandi quote, I got it on a pendant. Be the change you wish to see in the world.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Pokemom
on 10/11/16 8:50 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Our high school actually sponsors an annual "Be the Change" day.  (It is actually over 2 days.)  They try to involve anyone who wants to participate.  They try to include parents too.  It is neat--they use it to help bridge between groups of people, to help people find common ground and understanding and greater compassion.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/12/16 4:13 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Beam me up Scottie, your comment about VSG was interesting.  I was scared years ago by the lapband (foreign object in body!), and afraid of the malabsorbsion with RNY.  So VSG fit my needs.  But am I afraid that restriction isn't enough in the long run? YES! I guess time will tell.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121