Sad at the Activity

Nic M
on 10/13/16 10:22 am

Ain't that the truth!? When I think of all the time I've spent trying to help people avoid Lap Band complications only to be told that I'm "bitter, jealous, etc." I could bonk my own head. But my own band experience was so hellish that I'm compelled to keep trying, even though it makes me really stupid because no one ever listens. ****il they experience it, which is pretty much a given.) 

I remember you from way back when, Scottie, although I don't believe we had much opportunity to interact. I do remember your name, however. Glad you're doing well. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/13/16 7:10 pm
Thanks Nic!

Yes, I was told I was jealous, sharted myself, and that I was vile and malicious. Thankfully it seems that less and less people are doing the band.

Glad you are out there spreading the good news of alternatives!
T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/11/16 5:28 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I'm so glad you're able to thrive & get the life you want. The thing with new people to fill our shoes is part of what's great, but sad too. We still need some of the people who have walked this life b4 us & what happens is we get a sea of newbies with a lot of enthusiasm, & best intentions, but not a lot of vets with the experience behind them. It becomes a blind leading the blind kind of thing.

While I'm sure most nuts & Drs, medical professionals, etc, have the very best of intentions for us, some of their advice is really, really bad & most have not walked this path. This is why I value vets advice & I know not every piece of advice applies to me, but it does give me a different perspective & something to think about.

& yeah, ya kinda have to have a little thick skin, sadly some people feel that they're being attacked & a person can always feel a certain type of way about anything, learning to take advice even if its not wrapped in a bow & sprinkled with fairy dust is something I learn everyday here.

Hope to see ya around on the boards! 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Kudzu
on 10/11/16 7:31 am
VSG on 07/28/16

I'm one of the ones who creep around here and seldom post. I simply enjoy the feeling of community. I do read here often, but if I have questions, I do my own research or seek knowledge from medical professionals. Opinions vary here and I respect everyone's ideas on topics; much IS medical based. What I gain most from this site is reading the real success stories and seeing them picking themselves up after they fall. I like reading the daily food threads to give myself new ideas with my own food plan. As another poster mentioned, the questions can be very redundant, while I realize people may be new, usually someone has answered the question already. But welcome back to the fold. I look forward to reading more of your activity here. 

MissNexxie
on 10/11/16 7:57 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I agree with what you've said.  I'm a 'junior' veteran at only 2.5 years out and I used these boards a lot in the 2 years prior to surgery while researching if it was right for me as well as during the process and recovery.  In the beginning it was great and I learned so much and felt comfortable posting questions.  Now, I post only once in a while on certain topics because responses are either flippant or judgy.  I still struggle with certain aspects of post surgical every day life but am not willing to open those topics up here anymore.  I will instead search through the archives for much older posts as they have value without the attitude.

It can be like mining for gold on this site, you have to sift through a lot of dirt to find a valuable nugget or two. 

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/11/16 7:27 pm
I still search old discussions from time to time to look up info.

There is still defintely good nuggets here. I was fortunate, DSers at the time I had surgery stuck together. They were into doing a lot of research...and I was able to get support for how to eat, as well as learn the science behind weight loss surgery.

People are judgy....that's part of life. I think that deep issues need to be discussed with close real life friends or a therapist....public forums are defintely not the place to "let it all hang out". It's unfortunate but true.
Gwen M.
on 10/11/16 8:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've got to admit that I'm always amused when people who left OH come back and complain about it being dead.  Perhaps you're part of the problem?  

The internet has changed.  Lots of forum-based places are less active than they used to be as a result.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/11/16 7:34 pm
I'm not on the offense, I was making a commentary that it is sad for new people. But the reality is I "grew up" and moved past weight loss surgery. I lost 300 lbs, kept it off, and got busy with the rest of my life. I said this in a post above, but after losing weight, I've become very successful in business since losing weight. It turns out that being fat was holding back my career, so I don't have hours to dedicate to posting here anymore.

I do lurk from time to time, but when I was posting actively- we were all newbies or out just a couple of years- there were few long term DSers. They didn't exist, at least not on forums.

I get that the internet has changed. I guess it worked better for me than social media- but it is what it is.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/12/16 10:53 am

The day I move past WLS is the day I start to regain my weight. I come here almost daily. I'm not a sad loser or unsuccessful; this is just part of what I need to do to stay on track.

I came here during the very tail end of the DS wars, back when some people would try to start surgery wars on the boards. I'm glad that ****storm blew over. OH may not be the happening place you remember it, but it still serves a purpose. There are lots of people who come here for information and to be social. I don't publish peer-reviewed science, but there are a few people here that can and do.

We all have our niche as to what we offer other members. Some of us have sarcasm at the ready, and some of us have a tissue and shoulder for a good cry. You could lurk a bit and add what you think is being overlooked.

Social media is **** for support, IMHO.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/12/16 11:43 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Once again - it must be said.

I love you Kate.  

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127