Vitamin D 50,000 - Anyone who has taken this dosage

sunshinespring
on 10/10/16 9:26 pm - Bay Area, CA

I had the gastric bypass in 2008, does this mean I have malabsorption?

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/10/16 10:03 pm
Yes. The lie was told back than that it was just a bit of malabsorption and you only needed a few vitamins. Find the Vitalady regime and give it a try. It saved my life
Valerie G.
on 10/11/16 4:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Heck yeah, you have malabsorption!  Many RNY and DS patients are taking 50,000 iu and more of the dry D.  The oil filled gel caps are worthless to us, because we malabsorb the oil and the D right along with it.  I did 100,000 iu for six months to raise my D levels to a  safe number, then 50,000 daily to maintain.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sunshinespring
on 10/11/16 1:36 pm - Bay Area, CA

Thanks for the reply, did you take 100,000 daily ? And no side effects?

chevtow41
on 10/11/16 4:58 pm
DS on 11/11/14

I take 100k /day with no problems and good labs but I had the DS. Pre - op my D level was low so I started taking 50k every other day to get my numbers up before surgery. I had zero problems then too

Cosmos2112
on 10/11/16 6:09 pm

Years ago when I first became a patient of Cleveland Clinic, the doctor checked my Vit D. It was in the single digits. I was put on 50,000IU 3x a week for several months until it increased. It was the dry form.  Then the dosage was lowered. For many years it was fine. Just had my pre op tests and it was 28. Back on the  same amount but once a week. I was able to buy the same brand I had before, the Bio Tech  D3 for $23 per 100. No Rx was needed. The doctor gave me an Rx for 50,000iu of D2. Little hard green pills. Not the ones I want, I think it was a mistake. 

On another note I spoke with my endocrinologist who gave me her blessing on the surgery. I still live with the horrible diseases of diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and thyroid. I'm not going through Cleveland Clinic for the surgery. If all goes well, surgery is planned for end of December. 

sunshinespring
on 10/12/16 7:42 am - Bay Area, CA

Thank you for the reply and good luck to you in you upcoming surgery, I took one yesterday morning and I figure that this dose gives me insomnia, so I have to figure out a different way or get a sleeping supplement to counteract.

KattattaK
on 10/13/16 7:52 pm

I've taken huge amounts of Vit D in prescription strength.  Never caused any problems. However, I have a band that stopped working nearly 10 years ago so my stomach can handle a lot these days!

Crazeru
on 10/14/16 12:09 pm

At one point, I was taking 150k of D3 daily and my D was still going down.  I started taking my D in the middle of the night and it came up.  You may also need to add more calcium, I was already taking calcium 5x/day and Vitalady told me to add another dose.  That and taking away from food & fat has my D between 88-100.  My last lab my D3 was 108, my calcium 10.4 (10.3) is top of high for calcium.  My PCP said to not take D or calcium for a couple of months and retest.  I asked her to put in the lab request and I'd go in the following weekend.  I didn't take D or calcium for 5 days.  My D went down to 88 and my calicum dropped a whole point to 9.4.

LABS people.  Know your body and vitamins and keep track.  Can you imagine where I would have been listening to my PCP?

BTW, never had any reaction to the dry D3.  I have my mom taking it once a week, her labs for D are great now in the mid 80s - started below 20.  My daughter was very low and have her taking 1/week.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Batwingsman
on 10/15/16 5:31 pm - Garland, TX

Being that high levels of Vit D. (esp. D-3) intake can be dangerous, you should definitely do periodic blood checks on your Vit D. levels while on it to make sure you are not above maximum range.  It's pretty common for us DSers to take that high of a dosage 3x a week or so, but then we have major malabsorption issues of Vit D.. I wouldn't think that low Vit D. would much of a problem with just the VSG, but then again I'm not that familiar with that stand-alone procedure.     

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )