Antidepressants after surgery?

sunshinespring
on 10/5/16 8:31 pm - Bay Area, CA

Just wondering which one if you take one and how it works for you,

my doctor recently prescribed Effexor and will be starting it.

Any info will be greatly appreciated,

Deanna798
on 10/6/16 4:10 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I tried Effexor about 14 years ago and my body couldn't tolerate it.  I went many years without meds, but just recently asked my doctor for something.  I was prescribed Prozac, and I've been on it for 2 weeks now and I LOVE it.  I feel so much better now.

Good luck to you, I think each person is different.  If you find that the Effexor doesn't work for you, then have your doctor try something else.  Also, the reason I couldn't handle the Effexor is because it made me completely lose my appetite, to the point where I couldn't eat at all.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

mute
on 10/6/16 5:22 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I've taken various ADs at different times and was on Effexor for a few years awhile ago. It worked well for me at the time - if you ever decide to go off of it though be VERY careful how you do that as it can be rough to get off of. I did it just fine because I was aware but if you aren't it can be hard to do.

I was on Cymbalta for a while and that worked well too and then recently switched to Celexa.

ADs are completely personal and things work differently for different people. And if one doesn't work for you another one could so don't give up. Therapy and AD are extremely helpful to me.

Good luck!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/6/16 9:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Oh man, I've taken SO many meds over the years! I have bipolar II with a tendency towards depression, and I've been on antidepressants for 15 years now.

For the most part, surgery hasn't changed how my meds affected me. I had the sleeve specifically because I was concerned about absorbing psych meds, so I don't think that's got anything to do with it. I had a bit of a struggle with the early-post-op hormone dump, since I was on a med at the time (Lamictal) that's made less effective by estrogen. Other than that, though, no change between pre- and post-op meds.

Everybody reacts differently, so there's a lot of trial and error. Effexor was the second med I tried (after Prozac) when I was 17 and it made me very jittery and jumpy and nervous. That can happen with some antidepressants and bipolar, though. I'm currently on 30mg Lexapro (antidepressant) and 30mg Vraylar (antipsychotic). Lexapro has been a good one for me, I had success with its cousin Celexa years ago and Lexapro seems to be lighter on the side effects.

As you start a new med, I find it's really helpful to keep a mood journal. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just a piece of scratch paper works fine. Write down how you're feeling on depression and anxiety on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being "not a problem" and 10 being "this is a serious problem." Make notes about things like how you slept, how you ate, any weird side effects like feeling dizzy. Keep an eye on that, then bring it to your doctor, and it'll be a BIG help, promise!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sonja M.
on 10/6/16 9:27 am

My RNY was 2 months ago and I have been taking Effexor XR for 17 years, so my body is pretty used to it.  The only thing I can really offer is (as with probably any anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med) do not miss a dose.  The withdrawal sucks.  Good luck!

HW - 285 RNY revision surgery weight - 237 GW - 140 CW - 180

M1: -17#; M2: -7#; M3: -10#; M4: -7#; M5: -8#; M6 thru M11 -8#; M12:

Lap band surgery - 8/8/2007 -- lost 70 pounds (maintained 60). Band removal due to erosion - 10/12/2015. RNY revision surgery 8/9/2016.

Donna L.
on 10/6/16 12:23 pm, edited 10/6/16 7:21 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I have been on many antidepressants, having major depressive disorder and BED.  I found Cymbalta was a wonder drug for me. It cuts my arthritic pain my 90% which is a fantastic bonus.  I have been stable on that for many years.  It has seriously been amazing.  Having said that, I have had clients who have done poorly on it.  It really depends.  

Antidepressants also take several weeks for the full effects to begin.  Typically, 6-8 weeks.  It can even take months past that to stabilize depending on the meds.  Don't get discouraged :)

Also, counseling is a very powerful intervention alongside antidepressants or anti-anxiety medications.  Often, the best results are obtained with a combination of both.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life