a little stuck

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/16 5:48 am
RNY on 09/26/16

I am 9 days post op and keep reading about others who have had the same surgery date are losing a lot more weight than me. I am have lost 6 lbs from my surgery weight !I am doing every thing right. even walking 1/2 mile per day! following all of my guidelines to a tee. I am not having any problems keeping my food down or consuming my protein. I do struggle with liquid consumption somewhat but work really hard at it. I just thought this weight would come off faster. I am also having what feels like hunger pains. I thought those would be behind me. I am having cravings. I though also would be behind me. I feel good and have the blessing of not having to work for the next couple of weeks so plan to bump up my workouts and throw in some more intense lifting or something.  andy ideas or similar experience?

ladygodiva1228
on 10/5/16 5:54 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT do any form of intense lifting.  Most surgeons have a 6-8 week no lifting more than 10lbs rule.  You can do serious damage.

Also,  do not compare yourself to others.  Every single person who has had WLS will lose their weight at a different pace.  Unless you have 300+lbs to lose you are not going to lose 40lbs a month. 

Your body is trying to adjust to the fact it has had a pretty serious surgery.  Follow your guidelines and the weight will come off. 

Head hunger is a real thing make sure you do not give into to those craving.  Not getting enough fluids will also make one feel hunger pains as will acid. 

How much weight do you have to lose?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/16 9:52 am
RNY on 09/26/16

Thanks! My first goal is 40 lbs. then 60.but for now 40 is what I have my eyes on.
I do think it is head hunger it has to be...I had read and talked with other about head hunger but , didn't think it was that big of deal, I guess I was wrong!

I guess the one ting I am not getting done is my fluid intake. I have got to buckle down and work harder on that. I have all of the tools to do so.

AngryViking
on 10/5/16 5:55 am
RNY on 07/17/14

Look, you're only 9 days out.  This isn't a race; this is the beginning of the rest of your life.  If you are doing "everything right", the weight will come off.  Just make sure you are staying hydrated and (at this point) drinking your protein shakes and resting.  And it's been said a hundred billion times before, but the surgery isn't on your brain.  You need to work through that part; head hunger and cravings and all that...

I guess what I'm trying to say is be nice to yourself.  Understand that everyone's path is different and like I wrote above, if you're doing all the right things the weight WILL come off. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/16 11:49 am
RNY on 09/26/16

thanks! just needed some reminding!

Steph Meat Hag
on 10/5/16 6:19 am, edited 10/4/16 11:20 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

No lifting you just had your belly pulled open and several holes drilled into your abdomen.  At this point you need drink water like a camel.  Relax and think of food plans that will work for you as you reach each stage.  Go shop for those foods, and clear your pantry of things that aren't on your plan while your off work.  

Pick up a food scale, practice weighing and really reading the labels.  Example: peanut butter is not labeled well IMO.  It states 2Tbs is a serving, however it also shows the weight in grams.  I don't know who's table spoons they used but they certainly weren't mine.  I was eating almost twice the calories I thought I was because I measured it with table spoons not by weight.  

Remember less food/calories is about weight loss and more exercise is about health.  Exercise will help your heart and your body feel stronger and look better, but it will do very little about your weight.  If you need some articles about that I'll refer you to SparkleKitty, she's good at science.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/16 11:51 am
RNY on 09/26/16

"you just had your belly pulled open and several holes drilled into your abdomen"- well that puts it back in perspective! .

Steph Meat Hag
on 10/5/16 2:02 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Yeah look I'm just real :-)  I have my first set of 5 holes from lap band 8 years ago, and I earned myself a fresh set of 5 more when I had my revision to VSG.  Those holes go all the way through and if you really want to feel justified about sitting on the couch just go watch real video of the actual procedure you had.  It'll settle you right down!

Now I'm not advocating being a slouch.  I joined a work out class at week 4 and was fine to do the types of things they had us doing.  Mostly quick walking, light resistance bands, push up, and other low key activities.  It felt good to get moving at that point.  But you'll want to go see your doc at your 4 week post-op and have them give you the thumbs up for getting back at it. 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Grim_Traveller
on 10/5/16 7:28 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

As they were wheeling me into the OR, I asked my surgeon to make the 5 incisions look like scars from bullet holes, with a couple more in back, for through-and-throughs. You know, for street cred. He refused.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Willie H.
on 10/6/16 1:08 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Ha, ha. Pretty good! : )

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"