Food issues?

Mama-E
on 10/3/16 7:55 am

hi all,

im pretty new to this process - I've had my information session only. (Oh I'm in Canada).

I've been seeing a Cognitive Behaviour Therapist for a few months now in regards to my eating habits. We have been focusing on demoralizing food (food isn't "bad" or eating something isn't "cheating" - food is food) as well as not making food my constant focus. 

I'm getting worried that these new habits I'm trying to form are not going to be helpful post surgery ? Food intake is very important post surgery - as well as making sure we are ingesting the right amount of protein, sugar, carbs, fat....

i also try really hard to eat as much non processed foods as possible but my information binder from the nutrionist lists "low fat sugar free" types of food.. 

I'd appreciate any and all insights and experiences you've had in regards to these issues!

Ref:07/2016 Orientation: 09/26/16 Psych appt:Oct 6 2016 Nurse: Nov 14/16 SW: Jan 16/17 Nutrition: Jan 26/ 17 Surgeon: March 31/17 Surgery: Aug 15/2017.

HW (so far) 252lbs

Grim_Traveller
on 10/3/16 8:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I understand the argument that food lacks moral values of goodness or badness. Being obese and having a constant focus on food doesn't help.

But, what I have found after surgery is that I spend a LOT more time thinking about food, and planning my eating. Part of my obesity problem was always CRAVING food, but never really thinking much about what I was cramming in my mouth.

So thinking about food, in great detail, I think is vital. 

Getting rid of processed food is very important. Cutting white foods -- sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc -- is really crucial.

Ignore low fat advice. Fat is good for you. Maximize protein, minimize carbs, and ignore fat. If you are focusing on protein and carbs, your fat will be just fine.

Think about food a lot, but don't crave it. Don't eat mindlessly. Yeah, that's much easier said than done. But it can help.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gwen M.
on 10/4/16 6:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

"But, what I have found after surgery is that I spend a LOT more time thinking about food, and planning my eating. Part of my obesity problem was always CRAVING food, but never really thinking much about what I was cramming in my mouth."

I agree with everything that Grim has said here, and especially this part.  Pre-op I obsessed about food and I consumed food mindlessly.  I think about food a lot more now - but in a mindful way.  I don't obsess and crave, I'm thoughtful about my food choices and 100% aware of eating while I'm eating.  

I believe this is healthy and correct behavior.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

hollykim
on 10/3/16 9:10 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 3, 2016 at 2:55 PM Pacific Time, Mama-E wrote:

hi all,

im pretty new to this process - I've had my information session only. (Oh I'm in Canada).

I've been seeing a Cognitive Behaviour Therapist for a few months now in regards to my eating habits. We have been focusing on demoralizing food (food isn't "bad" or eating something isn't "cheating" - food is food) as well as not making food my constant focus. 

I'm getting worried that these new habits I'm trying to form are not going to be helpful post surgery ? Food intake is very important post surgery - as well as making sure we are ingesting the right amount of protein, sugar, carbs, fat....

i also try really hard to eat as much non processed foods as possible but my information binder from the nutrionist lists "low fat sugar free" types of food.. 

I'd appreciate any and all insights and experiences you've had in regards to these issues!

exactly what your first poster said

mschwab
on 10/3/16 9:46 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I agree with your therapist. Food is neither good or bad.  It is not the enemy.  In fact, it is critical to our health and survival.  It fuels our body, makes our brains function, keeps our organs running and our blood pumping.  Food wasn't my enemy.  My relationship with food was/is my enemy.  It took me a long time to figure that out.  

It is the fuel that runs my body.  It is not my comfort.  It is not my friend. It is not my enemy.  Based on that, some foods are better for me than others, and allow me to meet my dietary goals.  Other foods don't serve me as well. I try to eat he foods that help me meet my goals, and avoid the ones that don't.  That takes thought and planning.  No doubt about it. And this is for a lifetime, so I have to find a solution that works for me long term. 

My experience has been that viewing food as the enemy can lead people to do some crazy things.  I have a niece that is doing that now.  It is painful, and scary, to watch.

It is good that your therapist is encouraging you to develop a healthy relationship with food. That will serve you well in your journey.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

The Salty Hag
on 10/3/16 11:04 am
RNY on 05/20/13

First off, your insight on this subject way before surgery is pretty kick ass. Kudos!

I agree food is food and we are ultimately responsible for what we put into our mouths. Cookies don't just jump into our mouths on their own, and I think when we eat something we know we're not supposed to, we need to examine the "why" and fix it, which usually is NOT an easy task.

I think if your therapist can help you differentiate between obsessing ( for lack of a better term ) over food and mindfully making good choices that help you do well after surgery, what you're doing won't derail you.

Before surgery, I never gave much thought to food other than "Shovel it in, Audrey." There were times I went to the grocery store with the sole intent of getting crap food to binge on, but a lot of times, I just tossed any kind of crappy-for-me food into my gullet without any kind of forethought. I often didn't even taste it, and didn't enjoy it.

I spend MUCH more time thinking about food now, but it's a positive process rather than a harmful one. I'm thinking on the best choices to make, how to plan and prepare, logging food choices, and how to get my protein grams for the day. ( shake vs no shake, for example. ) I also think about how much better I feel now-on a daily basis-due in part of my healthy thinking toward food. I also have to strive to stay busy and not give into boredom eating.

Since we need to eat mindfully, we really have little choice but to think about food often. ( which you've noted. ) It is, of course, HOW we think of food that is the difference. And again, you seem to get that already. ( which is so cool. )

Regarding low fat: Low fat foods often have more sugars ( or other ingredients we don't need ) added to them in order to replace the taste lost by removing fat. My dieticians prefer for me to go that route as well, but I find that using healthy fats and eating full fat dairy keeps me full longer, my food tastes better, AND it helps keep the mail moving-if you get my drift. Eating higher fat works for me, but it may not work as well for others.

Now, should we eat sticks of butter or guzzle a bottle of olive oil daily? Of course not, but with us eating such small amounts of food and the types of food that we eat, the added fat doesn't add up quite as much as it would if we were having bread, fatty meats and/or fried meats, starchy and sugary foods all at the same time. ( like a burger, fries, and milkshake for lunch, for example. )

The sugar-free aspect is paramount to our success post-op, but we do need to be wary of some types of sugar alcohols often found in sugar free versions of foods. Maltitol is the most commonly used one, and it's NOT fun to deal with the after effects of having eaten too much of it. Even eating the serving size recommended for something like sugar free Reese's peanut butter cups is MORE than enough to clear a room once you start digesting it. Sugar free gummy bears can be great revenge on someone who has wronged you.

I have to be really careful with what sugar substitutes I ingest. I can use Splenda, stevia, erythritol or a combo of the last two. I can use Sweet n Low or Equal if I have to, but they are awful tasting. Blech. Sorbitol, xylitol, maltitol, and the sugar sub made from monkfruit make me feel like complete crap. Learning what works for you is certainly a process. ( and it involves...thinking about food...lol. It's a circle, am I right? )

I wish you much luck and success!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

pammieanne
on 10/3/16 11:58 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Sugar free gummy bears can be great revenge on someone who has wronged you.

You just made me laugh out loud!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

The Salty Hag
on 10/3/16 12:30 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I keep meaning to send a big ol' 5 lb bag to my ex's wifey-poo. 

Tom Petty

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/5/16 5:56 pm

Amazon reviews of the Haribo brand are comedy gold.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

The Salty Hag
on 10/6/16 5:58 am
RNY on 05/20/13

They really are...I read them when I need a good laugh. 

Tom Petty