DEXA Scan: Surprise emotional results!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/4/16 7:55 pm

Yeap. That's why I am getting the DEXA scan....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/3/16 11:25 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Well I can't advise you to get to that 145 or not based on the Dexa scan thing but I think Hala does have a point in that it might not take your age into account or they might be trying to sell you a gym membership. I also want to get that Dexa scan test to find a goal to keep in mind, rather than pick a number out of the air which is what I did.

Don't be discouraged, don't let some test undermine all the hard work you did to get the weight off & keep it off. Think about what you can maintain & be happy with. It's hard to shut out the negative thoughts in our head, I guess sometimes you have to hear it, then respond to it, mentally slapping the taste out her mouth of the mean girl who like to pop **** in my head is what I think of.

Hope you find out what will work for you. Hugs, we all got that mean girl/guy inside that says bs. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Pokemom
on 10/3/16 9:53 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Thanks T!  You remind me of my favorite friend (of 25 years now)!  I can always count on her to take my side and call out the crap and get mad at the haters.  

Overall I think the data from the scan is useful as a baseline.  I need to remember it is data, not a moral judgement on my character!

NYMom222
on 10/3/16 2:19 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Sorry this caused a negative response! Love what Kat said about the mean girl in us... so true!

When I had it they had a chart with body fat, and it was adjusted for age as Hala was talking about. They didn't use BMI as that is not exactly the same scale as body fat %- it used terms like 'lean' ideal' etc...

I hope you can use this as a positive motivator at some point....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Pokemom
on 10/3/16 9:50 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Yes, thanks NYMom!  Your positive use of the DEXA scan was a big motivator to me to get one!  I am glad I di it, and I do think it will be a positive motivator before long.  I really was surprised at the self-shaming emotional response I had to it.  I am working on that.  This company with the machine has it in a mobile unit--in a van, and they will be back at my husband's work in January, where I can do another discount-price can to see if I have progressed.  I now need to figure out what my goals really are, and then work toward them.  I want to have plastics done eventually, and I need to decide where my "final resting place" is.  

NYMom222
on 10/4/16 6:16 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Hope this link will work- this is the chart they gave me to show where my body fat fell...I just used this page because the chart is big enough you can actually read it. :) #oldeyes

Bodyfat

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Pokemom
on 10/5/16 8:36 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thank you for that link!  It really was easier to understand that chart than the one I was given where I got my scan.  I am in the average section, but it should not be hard to get to the "ideal" section.

Gwen M.
on 10/4/16 6:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's too bad that you didn't have a DXA scan pre-op, since I'm sure that it would have been really positive for you to have seen your current statistics having known what your original statistics were for comparison! Sadly, you're seeing your current statistics in a vacuum now.  

Because, seriously, clearly what you do matters and has mattered.  I'm sure that your stats now, even if they're not "perfect" are WAY better than where you started.  You just don't have those start numbers in hand to see it yourself.  

I get the sneaky hate spiral, though.  It sucks.  It's one of the things I've worked on a LOT in therapy.  Especially since I double down and judge myself for judging myself.. "You're fat and horrible." is followed by "OMG, you're stupid for thinking you're fat and horrible."  I assure you, this is not a useful process.  :P  

So you've had a week to mope and feel bad about yourself.  Time to get back to work.  You can do this.  Find a personal trainer, get a great weight lifting plan, and start working on changing your body composition.  Even a few sessions with a good (CERTIFIED) trainer will get you on the right track so you can then maintain a plan on your own.  (Or find a plan on your own if you feel that you're safe to do that.  If you have access to a gym or home gym, I highly recommend the New Rules of Lifting - the original, not the one for women which sucks.  But a trainer will help you with form, which is important if you're new to lifting.  Resistance bands are a great home option if you don't have a home gym.)  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Pokemom
on 10/5/16 8:38 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Thanks Gwen! Thanks for calling out the sneaky hate spiral, and how it goes to other places if not stopped at stage 1 or 2, etc.  Thanks for your positive advice.  I saw your thread a couple of days ago about looking for a DEXA scan for yourself.  Best to you finding that!

iloveravens
on 10/4/16 8:56 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Awww I'm sorry, this is sad for me to read.  I hope you can take away the positives from it...look at how successful you've been.  Probably the most successful & sustainable diet you've been on in your life, right?  You can do this, you're doing this, keep doing it!  :)

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)