Hypothyrodism and weight loss

Donna L.
on 9/29/16 12:21 pm, edited 9/29/16 5:23 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I hashimoto's thyroiditis and my thyroid has less than 5% function.  I take 250mcg of synthroid daily.  I lost about 140 since surgery last year.  I also had multiple cysts, but I've avoided surgical removal thus far.  If you still have your parathyroid glands (or supplement it if needed) and are adequately medicated for your thyroid you are fine.

Hypothyroidism actually only makes you gain 10 pounds, really, even though it can make it hard to lose weight because your basal metabolic rate is reduced.  Often if you are hypothyroid you may have hashimoto's which is often comorbid with Celiac; more studies indicate that grains and dairy protein can also cause thyroid issues if you have autoimmune issues.  If your thyroid nodules were due to autoimmune issues, I'd get checked out for Celiac too, as Celiac can also make weight loss difficult and cause swelling/bloating.  There's are correlations between hypothyroid disorders and Celiac that they are now starting to research.

If you have trouble losing and are hypothyroid, often it can mean too that you have poor T4 to T3 conversion.  Synthroid is T4, but the body needs T3 to utilize... so the body has to convert the synthroid to T3.  Not all of us can convert it well.  It's best to see an ENT or endocrinologist for a grumpy thyroid.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/29/16 5:07 pm, edited 9/29/16 10:09 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I'm on the same level of synthroid as Pammieanne - the only thing that has changed is the my doctor now tests my thyroid every 6 months instead of a year.  I would think that the WLS would make your weight loss easier - what does you endocrinologist say?

I hope you can find a Support Group that is close enough to attend.  All hospital that are Bariatric Centers of Excellence have to have one to obtain that designation.  I sometimes go to one even though I did not have the surgery there.

Sharon