Nervous about Psych

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/16 3:13 pm

Hopefully everyone who commented will see this! But I am so thankful for all of your responses and advice.

I think that I will tell my social worker, however I will make it clear that it is long in the past. It was very frustrating last time, because I felt like I was being punished for doing everything right. I was 16 or 17 and made mistakes that I regret, however I do not let them hold me back. I have received counseling and am on anti-depressants, but I have never been officially diagnosed with anything. This summer I even received counseling specific for food addictions and creating a heathy relationship with food. I even keep a mood and food journal now! I definitely plan on continuing counseling as well- I really enjoy it.

it was just so astounding to me that I was belittled because of my mental health. I mean, I'm an RA at my college, a Bible study leader, doing well academically, have a strong support of friends, family, and church. I hope that my new social worker will see that I am stable and a good candididtate in spite of my struggles and age. 

Thanks for all the wisdom!

Grim_Traveller
on 9/29/16 3:39 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Good for you. Stick around, and let us know how you are progressing.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Donna L.
on 9/29/16 3:58 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

MeerKat94, you are definitely not alone.  I regret much from my 16-21 age years - heck, I regret most of my life up to 31 when I had to deal with many of the issues you may have gone through.  If they didn't give surgery to people with issues then no one would get surgery.  We all have things to work on.  Some may be more different than others. Even people without mental illness or food addiction, or alcoholism, or depression, or schizophrenia, have issues.  The first thing we learn as counselors is that everyone is mentally ill, even briefly, at some point or another.

The sad truth is that just as there are bad surgeons, priests, pastors, executives, and politicians, there are also bad counselors.  I would talk to the individuals who saw you over the summer and who see you currently.  Ask if you can invite the person doing the assessment to reach out to them and communicate (depending on your state you will have to sign a release, FYI).  I did this for over 15 people the past year, talking to surgeons, doctors, and psychologists.  A part of our job is to integrate mental and physical health care.  Sadly, not everyone takes advantage of (or even knows) about this.

Hang in there!  And be proud of your successes :)  It is no small thing to be able to go back to school and persevere despite adversity.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sharon8
on 10/4/16 12:00 pm

Going thru that now. If I knew I would not disclose anything!