Not sure where to start, but an introduction should do

VakAttack
on 9/26/16 11:19 pm - FL
RNY on 11/16/16

Hey folks,

My name is Mike.  I post on message boards pretty frequently, but never one like this.  I'm set for bariatric surgery, the Bypass or RNY, however you prefer.  I'm pretty nervous about it.  My support system isn't what it was when I decided to set out this journey, but I'm still pushing thru.  I'm 33, my knees are starting to hurt, and I want to stop that.

I'm pretty active and athletic, especially for my size.  I'm very nervous about the surgery but hopeful about how it's going to help me to my goal of a healthier and longer life.  Appreciate that there's a place like this I can join and talk to people and strengthen my support system.  Anyway....good talk?

VakAttack
on 9/26/16 11:22 pm - FL
RNY on 11/16/16

Just wanted to add I've been lurking for awhile, trying to work up the nerve to start up talking on here.  Confidence is not usually an issue for me, but for this it was.

mschwab
on 9/27/16 5:41 am
RNY on 11/21/14

Welcome Mike, we are so glad you are here.  Congratulations on making a decision to improve your health.  You won't be sorry you did.  Visit often, and let us know how you are doing.  This is a community, and every voice adds something special. 

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

missc_26
on 9/26/16 11:45 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Hey Mike,

Welcome and congrats on making a decision to move forward with your surgery and an improved you ?

When is your surgery date? What is your biggest motivation? Are you doing anything pre surgery (ie diet etc) and how's that going?

I'm having gastric sleeve on 3 Oct and it has been a long time coming. I had an accident which has left me in a lot of pain and subsequently I have gained so much weight from not being able to be active. I am like you, really enjoy staying active and keen to proactively get myself back to good health. 

It's not gonna be an easy ride but you can do this! Any help or support I can offer I am happy to. All the best!

C

VakAttack
on 9/26/16 11:52 pm - FL
RNY on 11/16/16

Hi C,

Surgery is 11/8.  It would have been earlier, but the date they wanted to go on was the same week as my best friend's wedding where I am the Best Man, so it had to be postponed to the next available date.  Scheduling is tricky, as I'm an attorney and have a lot of court obligations.

Biggest motivation is to be healthier.  Mainly, I play in an adult volleyball league, and I want to be able to jump higher!  I kid, I kid.  I want to feel better, look better and just be healthier.

Presurgery I'm not on any plan right now, although I'm going to do something now to make sure I look as good as possible in the tux for the wedding, hahaha.  But i had to go thru a pretty rigorous prep period with a lot of hoops to get approved thru my insurance for the surgery.

missc_26
on 9/27/16 12:44 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Yay having a date locked in is really exciting! Sounds like you lead a busy life and this will lead to a big lifestyle shake up. You already have the activity started and you are motivated I am sure you will do well. Keep in touch and let me know how you go thru your journey.

missc_26
on 9/27/16 12:45 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Yay having a date locked in is really exciting! Sounds like you lead a busy life and this will lead to a big lifestyle shake up. You already have the activity started and you are motivated I am sure you will do well. Keep in touch and let me know how you go thru your journey.

missc_26
on 10/5/16 2:07 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi Mike,

How is tuxedo hunting & best man duties going? I'm now 3 days post op and I can't believe it finally has happened.  It's not an easy ride, I took lots of pain meds prior to the op, so one thing I can suggest is asking for any meds to be in liquid form. Changing even paracetamol capsules to liquid has stopped some excruciating pain (surprisingly it is in my shoulder blades). 

Hope all is well with you!

C

Grim_Traveller
on 9/27/16 1:03 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Welcome. You're going to be really happy you decided to take this leap.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

JaxLiving
on 9/27/16 4:22 am - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

Hi Mike! Congratulations on your decision to have RNY! I know you'll be happy with your decision! I know that I am!!!!

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16