Low carb - on a budget...

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/23/16 9:24 am

Teenage boys - or girls playing sports - I could afford to dress them - not feed them...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

The Salty Hag
on 9/23/16 9:57 am
RNY on 05/20/13

My boys aren't sporty. That helps for sure. We were always the "weird" family in the neighborhood that way; they've never done team sports, after school stuff or anything like that. When they were younger there was no way I could have afforded it, and luckily they weren't interested in it. They'd come home from school, have a snack, do their homework, and maybe play outside if they wanted, but they weren't super keen on being outside. They're like their mom in that way. "Lawn" is a 4 letter word!  Or "Ew, the not-so-great outdoors. Get me inside..NOW!" 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Kathy S.
on 9/23/16 9:46 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/23/16 10:06 am

Agreed. I find I save money on all the carby junk I don't buy and use it for meat and poultry.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Heather P.
on 9/23/16 10:25 am

I haven't noticed cooking low-er carb for myself and my family to be any more expensive than before.  I bought so many pre-packaged and pre-cooked meals before so cooking more homemade and low carb has actually saved money for us!

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Grim_Traveller
on 9/23/16 10:59 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I hate to admit it, but I roll my eyes when people complain about the price of food and vitamins after WLS. I spend far, far less now than I used to. What I spend now wasn't even drive-thru money before.

I think that, when we were morbidly obese, we A.) Had no idea what a large amount of calories we ate every day, and B.) Had no idea how much money, in total, we were spending on crappy food, every day.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SkinnyScientist
on 9/23/16 3:55 pm

The improvement in my quality of life after WLS surgery is priceless.  I won't ever complain!

Tomorrow, I am walking a half marathon.  I have ran 2 half marathons and am walking this one. I wouldnt have been able to do it MO. I did walk 15 miles in a day once MO. But I had frequent rest breaks and it took about 9 hours according to my garmin.

No I walk 13 miles in under 3 hours.

I love my life after WLS and the things I can do!!!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/23/16 7:25 pm

How is skating going? You still plan to do that?  Is that winter activity? 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SkinnyScientist
on 9/24/16 2:20 pm

I plan to return soon once the doctor clears me. I got bit by a tick, had a reaction, which lead to me being put on antibiotics requiring me to stay indoors, stupidly tried to train for a marathon run/walk program on a treadmill and really inflamed my IT band. So i have been stuck to only stretching, walking and abs for 2 months. No running, weights, tae bo, skating or dancing.  Soon I will be back!

I miss the rink so much!

Skinny Scientist.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Donna L.
on 9/23/16 4:52 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Binge eating costs a fortune.  I definitely spend waaaaay less now!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life