Looking for Support

April L.
on 9/19/16 5:16 pm - Edgewood, MD

Anybody doing the Back on Track program from the Bariatric Eating website?  I need to do something to gain some control.  I haven't weighed myself since my last doctors visit, but I'm sure I have gone back over the 200 mark!   I started out pushing towards 400 pounds back in 2007 and hit a low of 135 pounds after my surgery (too thin).  I lost my husband 4 1/2 years ago.  He was my biggest supporter, but I starting gaining about 3 years ago.  Night time eating of carbs and sweets are killing me.

I am going to do the BE 2 day pouch test starting tomorrow and I'm looking for some creative ideas for protein shakes.

I feel so lost.

April ...My Cup Runneth Over
" Life may not be the party we hoped for,

but while we're still here we may as well dance."   ... Andy Rooney

cheapskate
on 9/20/16 8:59 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I Havent done it but if you are on facebook they have a group called No Bariatric Regain that is tons of people working that or the other one. Just know they push they agenda of selling their own shakes. That being said, it can be done without they just wont tell you that.

You can get alot of information from the page and it does work.

Sorry for your loss. But if your DH was your biggest support he would want it for you too. You can do this!!

April L.
on 9/24/16 7:27 am - Edgewood, MD

So, true.  I can do it!  Just didn't succeed this week.  Starting over again. Thanks for the encouragement.

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/16 9:08 am - CA

I am 15 years post op, I maintained for 12 and had regain after I loss my parents back to back.   I do not do the Bariatric Eating back on track.  I don't think it is a viable program and have seen little success in the people that have done it.   What I have seen with the people who have had regain and the success of losing it, has been going back to basics.   Tracking your food, altering macros as needed and focusing on dense protein at all meals.    The pouch test is in my opinion, is useless.  If you eat dense proteins, you will find satiety and won't graze on those carbs and such.   It is what has worked for me.   I have a long road ahead of me, but I know my tool is in tact, so I just have to work it. 

Good luck! 

~Nik

April L.
on 9/24/16 7:31 am - Edgewood, MD

Hi Nik,

What you said makes so much sense.  The basics worked for me and will again!  Found I couldn't do just the shakes - gave sick as a dog new meaning!  Maybe it's the milk. Trying again. Making a grocery list before I hit the stores today.

Thank you.

cindid2016
on 9/20/16 10:31 am

I had surgery several years ago and have since gained it all back.  It's a constant struggle.  I don't even really eat too much. It's hard when you put in so much work and see yourself going right back where you started from. I found some good information on bariatric surgery at this site. 

April L.
on 9/24/16 7:33 am - Edgewood, MD

This site was so valuable to me for years.  As Nik said in the previous reply - I need to get back to basics!

Keep moving on your journey - it's worth it.

Deanna798
on 9/20/16 12:23 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

There has been a newer movement that has popped up, which is exactly opposite of the 5 day pouch reset.  It's called the 5 day meat test, and it's basically dropping all carbs and going all dense meaty protein for 5 days to reset from the carbs.

It's really proven that going full liquids is not sustainable.  It doesn't make you feel full, and I'd walk around feeling hungry constantly.  BUT, give me 4oz of dense protein and that's when I feel stuffed to the gills and satisfied.  Cutting carbs helps to stop the carb craving cycle and doing it with meat is YUMMY to boot.

Check out the website 5 day meat test

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

April L.
on 9/24/16 7:35 am - Edgewood, MD

Sounds like a plan to me.  I've always been a meat eater.  I can eat veggies until I'm past full, but don't feel satisfied without the meat.

Thank you.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/20/16 2:56 pm

you try to do their program but they don't offer any support? 

I would skip that... and I woudl stay away from special shakes - bar - "the only right way to do it".. etc..

What worked for me was daily support I got on OH... the RNY forum or some personal group. Coming on daily - posting "whatare you eating - doing today" getting ideas what others are doing... day after day after day... Real WLS people - real food- real support by those who are either losing, re-losing regain or maintaining....

Now I am in maintenance - but I try to come to OH at least every other day... I skip a day or 2 here or there.. or a week.. 

but even if I don't post daily - I read - and if I feel I can add something _ I try to do that.  So many people helped me on my journey..  and some are still helping.. some don't even know it...  

I was thought - never return a favour - pass it on... 

read - post - join others.. we all struggle - one or another way... look at the RNy group  - and the daily post - there is as much support as one can ask for... 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/

look at a sample from a daily post- this one was today.. someone always starts one...post - read... show support..

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/6011293/What-is-on-you r-Tuesday-Menu-RNYers/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."