Liquid diet

sturdycon
on 9/18/16 6:38 am

Can't take it any more!!!!! I can't stand the L I Q U I D  D I E T anymore!! The milky cream of wheat. The caned strained soup!! It's driving me insane I can't stand the taste anymore. I have just stopped eating!! My wife orders pizzas from the pizza shops I goto bed!! What do I do??!!! Last food I chewed was 9-1-2016. Bypass surgery was 9-9-2016. Soooooo Hungry!! Only thing I have even thought about eating today is Jello and maybe thinking of making sausage gravy and straining that!! Just sick of the soups and cream of wheat can't do it anymore!!

cheapskate
on 9/18/16 10:02 am
RNY on 03/30/15

Have you tried flavored broth? Swanson has a chicken one that is spicy. I also love chic FIL a diet lemonade.

Donna L.
on 9/18/16 10:15 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Can you have sugar free popsicles?  Sugar free popsicles generally count as fluids and they satisfy the need for the oral fixation/chewing.  I used these the first few weeks after my VSG and it helped with the chewing drive tremendously.  I also froze protein shakes to eat, too, like popsicles.  Ask your surgeon or program's office if you can do that. :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

White Dove
on 9/18/16 10:37 am - Warren, OH

I ate sugar-free hard candies, peppermint patties and sugar-free Hershey chocolate.  That also eliminated constipation problems.

Quest sells protein potato chips.  They would an excellent choice for the liquid diet phase. Much tastier than cream of wheat or strained canned soup.  I did have sugar-free popsicles.  There are also no sugar added frozen fudge bars available.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 9/18/16 11:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Yeah, it sucks.  But you can do it and you need to do it.  You must keep drinking and getting in your protein.  What protein shakes are you using?  Have you tried Isopure?  Have you tried different flavors?  Have you tried real soups instead of canned soups?  I'd also ditch the cream of wheat - it's just carbs and you don't need that.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Mamaoffour
on 9/18/16 1:06 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

I had my surgery the same day as you and I can have yogurt and SF pudding, can you have either of those? This has been the hardest 3.5 weeks between this and the preop. Stay strng we are getting close.

sturdycon
on 9/18/16 2:29 pm

Yes, I can have yogurt. I can't stand the tast of it now that's what I thinned the cream of wheat with. The chicken broth is what I'm sick of!! I had blended low fat cottage cheese. That was better. I will start back at the gym tmw. Just reintroducing myself to my workout routine. I will take it easy and mostly do light cardio and some light strength exercise. Thanks for all your replies!! Gives me strength I'm not alone!! Unlike here at home!!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/19/16 2:44 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Can you also ask the wife to not bring the pizza home (eat at the pizza sho*****t get take-out like that)?  I remember your stage when I just wanted to CHEW something and was suffering from food break-up.  I think smelling pizza would have driven me crazy (husband didn't do that).  Now, at almost 6 months later and being able to chew my own protein based meals, I'm okay with pizza in the house.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/16 2:09 am

Hey!! You will be okay man!! A regular workout will help to maintain a healthy and fit body. This will help you to be more strong. I hope you could have pizza asap :)  

sturdycon
on 9/21/16 3:08 pm

Thanks for the replies and acknowledgement!! Started working out again this last Monday went well. Went again yesterday went well. Got staples removed today. Went to gym afterwards and ended up at the hospital!! Nothing torn no leakage thought I was taking it easy but apparently not the case. Will stick to the treadmill and bike for now!! This process is difficult for me I'm used to doing whatever whenever sure do have to learn a lot more self discipline!! Slow and easy. I didn't know about the protein water found out about that stuff today will be getting some first thing tomorrow morning!! Thanks again!!