Meeting water goals

FonzMom
on 9/13/16 4:15 pm

Hi all. I had sleeve surgery last week on September 8th. It's going great and I am on liquids most likely until my first follow up with my nurse this Thursday.  My question is that they sent me home with a bottle that I can fill with water and sip sip sip all day to go through I think 28 oz at this point in 8 hours.  I have had a hard time accomplishing that. I am staying hydrated and I do sip quite a lot. They gave me a goal of 1 oz every 15 minutes and gave me little cups to achieve this.  I feel like I am constantly drinking and I'm obviously not going to drink when I am napping, so I lose that time.  What am I doing wrong? I am staying hydrated, but maybe I am not doing enough sips. I don't always use the little cups. I feel like I should be going through the bottle so much more quickly.  I also don't want to do too much too soon.  

rocky513
on 9/13/16 4:54 pm - WI

The one ounce every 15 minutes is a guideline.  If you can comfortably drink more, go for it.  It won't hurt you. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Meggles07
on 9/13/16 6:41 pm - Canada

Do you get other fluids like soup or protein shakes? When I first started I was only getting maybe 32-48 oz a day of all my fluids. I got quite dehydrated and my blood pressure got low. It took me quite a while before I could comfortably drink more than 64oz a day. It will come, but keep tracking it. As your stomach heals you will be able to get more in. 

Valerie G.
on 9/14/16 4:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Perhaps looking at the big picture of a 64oz daily goal will help you determine how close you're coming to what your body needs.  I had a cup that very size, and kept going at it with a goal of emptying it before bedtime.  Try different flavors and even temperatures to find something that doesn't suck.  Today I do that much before lunchtime.  Dehydration doe**** hard and fast - so keep pushing to achieve that every day.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/14/16 12:58 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

It's very difficult to overdo it on liquid! Too much protein will overfill your stomach, bu****er moves right on through (on an empty stomach) so you can drink as much as you like.

At the start, it will definitely feel like you're glued to your bottle-- that's pretty normal since you can only take a tiny sip at a time. Dehydration is Bad News, especially when your body is still working on healing, so err on the side of drinking too often! Luckily, it's far easier to get in your water each day when you can swallow normally again.

Your water goal also includes things like broth, tea, and SF drinks like Crystal Light or Mio.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!