Iron & Vitamin D deficiency; please help me get better

NHPOD9
on 9/14/16 11:33 pm

I understand the struggle when your PCP won't refer you Mine was the same way when my ferritin reached 10. However, my OBGYN ended up writing the referral (I was pregnant at the time). Do you see anyone else that could write the referral? If not, are you comfortable seeing your PCP again to insist she make the referral? I personally do not understand why docs get stubborn over this. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

sunshinespring
on 9/15/16 10:00 pm - Bay Area, CA

I have seen another Doctor whose away from home about 2 hour drive, she was refer by a friend and she is the one who found out my ferritin level this low, not even my Doctor

I have reached out to her and she is out on vacation but I know she can give me a referral, the only problem she is out of my insurance network and I am self pay with her and the infusions probably but at this point I am willing to sell my car or whatever I need to do

I am not sure why my doctor is putting me thru some many hoops to get my health back I am not sure why and the days go by and I sit here calling researching and trying to survive.

Thank you for your reply,

lizzie202
on 9/16/16 12:28 pm

Congratulations on your currentvweight loss!ð?'?

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 9/14/16 5:00 pm - Belleville, IL

You got GREAT advice from others on here...Make sure to get Vit D3 anywhere from 5000 iu'd  to 10,000iu's. As for Iron, at your low results an infusion would be best however, your can buy a product via Internet called Proferra Hemi-Iron or BiFera or  Vita Lady Tender Iron...(make sure it is Heme Iron or Carbonyl Iron NOT a different iron) and it will help..It WILL take up to a week to start working but it will (the Iron) the D3 (always make sure it is D3 or takes about 4 days to start working..A bit of Sunlight helps too, just around 15-20 minutes. 

There are patches now that are supposed to help Iron levels but I think you need to be closer to healthy levels? I wish you good luck...Thankfully D3 Vitamin is easy to fix, Ferritin and Iron can be a bit more tricky, all my luck and positive energy to you.

Warmly,

Jackie E.

lizzie202
on 9/16/16 12:30 pm

Awesome!

Thanks and God bless!?

seattledeb
on 9/14/16 7:05 pm

You must have IV iron. You will not get better without it.

Tonya63385
on 9/14/16 10:32 pm

The iron infusions were the only thing that helped me.  Now my numbers are up and I need them less.  Don't wait on this. I was miserable for way too long

sunshinespring
on 9/15/16 10:03 pm - Bay Area, CA

Thank you Tonya63385:  I am desperately trying to get them; I have taken some many kinds of different iron products and nothing has worked,  is been almost a year and my numbers go up by one number then down by 2,

I just don't get it, what were your symptoms if you don't mind me asking.