Iron & Vitamin D deficiency; please help me get better

sunshinespring
on 9/14/16 10:32 am - Bay Area, CA

Good morning,

Just checking with you by chance did you get a headache with this Vitamin D, I woke up with a bad one, I read that this could be magnesium deficiency as well, but just wondering if is something that will disappear with the days or while my body gets use to it,

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/14/16 11:13 am

I don't get a headache with it. I get a headache when I get dehydrated - and or constipated.  Morning headache indicates to me that I need to drink more water...and take more minerals (salt, potassium and magnesium,)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sunshinespring
on 9/14/16 3:13 pm - Bay Area, CA

Thank you, that is what I found out and I took some magnesium which helped a lot, I will continue to take them because I felt the benefit more than the headache,

have a great day and again Thank you for taking the time to reply

lizzie202
on 9/11/16 12:20 pm

The sun is known for raising  your vitamin D levels which may help you with consumtion of iron. Try that out. Best wishes! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/11/16 10:07 pm

In theory that is a great idea... But one will have to be in a sun, named for hours at at time...

How far are you from surgery? What surgery did you have?  And how well is that approach working for you?  What is your D level? I ask because even "normal " people have problem with low vit D.I know a few...

Btw - VSG don't have the same problem as RNY... 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lizzie202
on 9/13/16 2:26 pm

My VSG is to be in late December or early January.  Although, I haven't had the surgery yet my vitamin D was very low a few times I was put on 100,000 mg of/ vit D for thee days at a time. I am also on Iron. Hopefully, those who've had the surgery can give better advise. I would also contact the surgeon/Nutritionist. Please don't wait to get this resolved.

Blessings!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/13/16 5:54 pm

I don't have problem with D or iron... I was asking how sun was helping you...but I see it does not work for you. 

Unfortunately- to get any benefit from sun '- a person would need to be naked in the sun for an hour or long every day... Study shows that... Even here in SC most people who are tested have low D3 unless they supplement. 

Btw- the prescription D you take - is probably D2...Even for normal people - that is not very effective way to increase D. 

OTC D3 - is often cheaper and better. Unless you have no copay... 

I buy the d-50, 100 capsules, each 50,000 iu D3. - cost - App $20 to $25... I take 2 per week because I malabsorb. ..that lasts me for a year... Really cheap... 

lizzie202
on 9/16/16 12:27 pm

Oh okay. Thanks for the information. I am in and out of the sun daily. I don'tvreally care too much for it so my PCP has me on 6000 mg of Vit D. I know this after surgery. 

Take care and God bless!?

NHPOD9
on 9/14/16 2:57 am

You really need a new doctor, not only for not recognizing how serious your iron numbers are but also for the dose given for Vit D. 1000 iu is what non WLS patients take for maintenenance. I seriously doubt that will do a thing for you. For example, I maintain a level of 40 (not very high), on a daily dose of 15,000 iu. He just seems clueless.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

sunshinespring
on 9/14/16 10:30 am - Bay Area, CA

I agreed and I am trying to change my Doctor,  I email her to request iron infusions on Monday and she call me saying that as long as I take my pills I will be ok, easy for her to say it; I feel really sick and she takes me as a joke,

I also call on my own to a couple Hematologist and they said since I have state medical coverage they can't see me without a referral from a doctor from they network,

I also started taking vitamin D yesterday I felt good yesterday but woke up with a massive headache, I know it could be a side effect if I am deficient on another supplement

I am so upset and sick and confused, I am regretting having my surgery back in 2008 I think what if" maybe I would be fat but healthy all those things roam my mind and makes me even more sad:(