Eating out Card

chassibi
on 9/9/16 12:01 pm

I often share with a kid or my husband also. Or order an appetizer. Buying a full size meal is pretty much wasted on me and sometimes they don't reheat well.

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

k9ophile
on 9/9/16 1:29 pm

In my seven plus years of being active on WLS boards, this has come up several times. In addition to all of the other replies, there's another aspect. I can get discounts with my AARP card, AAA card, or others because these organizations have made a pre-arranged deal with companies. It is cheeky to expect privilege with some lame-ass card from a doctor who hasn't made a deal with restaurants.

I have never used one nor have I had a problem asking for what I want. As for leftovers, I have my own "to-go" kit. I have a small tote bag in which I have plastic containers of various sizes, baggies, and tin foil sheets. I even have a cup for unfinished drinks.* I have been amazed how many compliments I get on how clever it is to have my own take-out containers. Most of the servers are impressed with my Go Green environment friendly approach to using re-useable containers. However, the reason I started doing this was to save a step from putting them in better things once I got home. Also those Styrofoam boxes can leak or allow food to get dry.

*Yes, I said drinks. One of the reasons I chose the DS was because I can drink with my meals. I never finish my drink and leaving most of a $2.50 iced tea behind is not something I like. (OK, so I'm cheap.) So many places offer a to-go drink at the end of a meal, so it's not unusual to see people walking out with cups.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Donna L.
on 9/9/16 2:09 pm, edited 9/9/16 7:09 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Here is the card.  However, I'd suggest skipping it.  We shouldn't be eating most kids meals - never mind weight loss patients.  Out here anyway everything is all crap.  You can substitute or ask (nicely) for smaller portions as Julie mentioned.  I've never needed the card to get them.  These are some of what I do:

Option 1: Order a full sized meal, substitute all carby options with veg, ask for a take out box up-front.  Eat 4-5 ounces of protein, three bites of all else.  I ask for the box up front so I can put it away before eating.  This prevents me from overeating.

Option 2: Order an appetizer only.  

Option 3: Order a side salad with a chicken breast.  I have done this at literally every restaurant chain without staff batting an eye.

Option 4: Ask if I can just order a piece of grilled chicken or beef a la carte.  This has never been refused, despite some perplexed servers on occasion. Great place for this?  Chipotle!  I order one side of meat a la carte and one side of guac.  I pay $4 and waste no food.

Option 5: Order bunless hamburger, sub fries for broccoli/green beans/asparagus/etc.  Cut burger in half immediately.  Box burger immediately.

Option 6: Share a plate with other diners.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Steph Meat Hag
on 9/9/16 2:16 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I've never had one issue because I'm a sweetie when I order my food.  For instance at a local Cowboy Chicken (rotisserie) I order the kids plate all the time.  They never look twice.  I just tell them I'd like the kids...XYZ.  If you don't make it weird it more than likely won't be weird.  Also if they want to make a big deal of it I just won't go there.  I'm a firm believe that "normal" adult portions are way too large for adults anyhow and if I'm asked I just say the normal meals are just too big for me today.  Again it's with an attitude that is confident and happy and then they just take the order or type it in.  No disrespect to food service workers but most of them like all of us just don't want to have a bad day and argue with their customers.  Unless the boss is right there and a stickler they just do it.  If the boss is there I'm more than happy to discuss their companies policies and reasons for me not returning because I do not want to be forced into menu choices due to my age.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/11/16 1:37 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Restaurants do not really honor it.  Call ahead. 

But - more importantly - totally agree with PeachPie - the kids menus rarely have anything for us.  Get what you like and fits within  your drs instructions and have leftovers for several days - freeze it if you have to. 

I often get a shrimp ****tail or other appetizer for dinner. 

Sharon