Eating out Card

Catek2652
on 9/9/16 3:07 am
RNY on 10/26/15

I've learned to look first at the appetizers. There is often something there that I can eat safely and then I ask for that appetizer to be served as my entre when I'm eating out with others. I've also ordered something like a fish taco and eaten just the insides. But as others have mentioned, taking leftover home is not a bad option at all. Be sure to tip very well, when you are treated very well.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/9/16 3:44 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I eat out at least once a week and like the others either order from the appetizer menu or take home great leftovers (saves me from cooking during the week). I never order from the kids menu because I look for high protein choices. I live on Cape Cod Massachusetts and one of the best appetizers are ****tail shrimp which you can purchase by count. I usually get 3.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

mute
on 9/9/16 4:08 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Definitely use this if you want to but like the other posters I've never used it. I've gone out to eat many times and have only had an issue maybe one time and that was because the chicken I got was waaaaay too dry.

I almost always order fish or some type of seafood. If it's not that type of restaurant I go for some type of protein. There is always something I can eat, I'm really surprised because I thought it would be harder. Just last week I had the most delicious meal at a restaurant - huge tiger shrimp that was supposed to come over linguine, which I just asked for them to hold. It came with artichokes, peppers, mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and gave me leftovers for 2 other meals. I had never thought of asking them to hold the pasta but in this case it totally worked.

I've never mentioned my surgery to them, ever. I just ask politely for them to hold the pasta or I had maple glazed salmon with the maple glaze on the side. I'm always super since about it and not *****y and I've never had an issue.

Good luck!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

jazzygirlnc
on 9/9/16 4:20 am, edited 9/8/16 9:24 pm
VSG on 04/14/16

restaurants aren't required to honor them. Most places I go allow me to order off the kids menu, they do look at me weird sometimes, but don't ask any questions.  usually there are 3 at the table and we only order 2 meals, something for my husband and my 18 month old and i split a kids meal. If they won't let you, either get an appitizer, or order off the regular menu and take the rest home. If my husband is getting something I can eat, I will ask him to add a side salad and I will eat some of his meat and veggies, then he has the salad to replace a little of what I ate.

Height: 5'9" // VSG: 4/14/2016

HW: 297# (while pregnant) // SW: 273.1# // CW: 187.8# //

GW: 145#

Lost thus far: 85.3# // Until Goal: 42.8#

Percent Excess Weight Loss: 66.5%

Valerie G.
on 9/9/16 4:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Without a card, here's how I do it:

"You know, I have a very small appetite and I do love good food, but don't love leftovers.  Is there any way I might be able to order a half-portion?"

No need to divulge your personal medical information to a kid.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gwen M.
on 9/9/16 6:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've never had a card, nor have I wanted one!  Kids menus tend to be completely crap-filled - why do we do that to kids?  Why do we raise them to only eat crap or to think that crap is their only choice?  Argh.  

What works for me:
leftovers, yum
asking for sides to be held, asking for bread to be held, asking for double protein (which usually comes with an upcharge)
going out to eat with people who share my tastes and we share stuff (this works out super well with my mom since she doesn't need leftovers and we can split things about 60/40 - she eats small portions, but not quite as small as mine)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Dee R.
on 9/9/16 7:03 am - CA

I was given one of those cards too.  I've never used it.  I always order a full meal and a to-go container at the same side.  I LOVE leftovers!!  We go to a BBQ place here where I get a half chicken and 2 sausages.  This will feed me lunches for at least 5 days!! 

Arjeffries
on 9/9/16 11:23 am
VSG on 01/27/16

I just order what I want and take the rest home. Although, I hardly ever get to eat my leftovers. My kids suck them down. It's gotten so bad that my kids try to get me to order something they like. I swear they are like greedy little vultures eyeing my food while I'm eating. They know I won't fini**** I practically have to stab them with a fork because they are ready to pounce because it takes me so long to eat.

k9ophile
on 9/9/16 1:31 pm

This is so funny. You must have teen-agers.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Arjeffries
on 9/9/16 2:47 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

Almost teenagers, 5 kids and two are 20 years old.