Found out some news today....but not surprised

Pokemom
on 9/9/16 9:51 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

I hope your second study was helpful and that you are able to adjust to the machines and that they make a positive difference for you!

Regarding the broader group discussion, I am late to the party here, but in case anyone reads this, I want to add two things.

First, my sleep Doctor emphasized very strongly that not only does weight increase sleep apnea, but also that untreated apnea leads to weight gain.  

Second, I have central sleep apnea.  This is where when I go to sleep, my brain just stops telling my body to breathe.  This is a very dangerous type of apnea.  I actually feel it happening as I try to go to sleep, even when using the cpap machine.  It is like I shut my eyes, shut my ears, curl up in a ball, and then my brain shuts down my breathing.  It is a very jarring experience, because at some point I realize I am not breathing and I wake up.  Ipthis happens a gain and again and again in succession, and it can take me an hour to fall asleep, or to fall back to sleep.  Any kind of light or noise wakes me because I am often just on the edge of sleep, not breathing right.

I did also have some obstructive apnea, which seems helped by the surgery, but the central apnea remains and is likely to remain throughout my life.  I still dislike using the machine, but it helps me.

Takeaway:  we should NEVER advise someone that their apnea will clear up after WLS.  It may not.  A propensity to obstructive apnea may be the causal thing in that person's relationship between sleep and weight.   And, some people have central apnea.  This is a big dangerous deal, and WLS does not clear this up.

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 9/12/16 5:27 pm - Belleville, IL

There are some Obese people whom do not have apnea (but most do) and there are some very thin/skinny/underweight people who have severe apnea.  I think that back 10-20-30-40 years ago we didn't have the technology to diagnose sleep apnea (Just like I remember times BEFORE 911) however with tech and science today they can find different kinds of types of apnea. I am considered underweight but sleep in strange weird balls and kinked up positions, that can cause me to have some apnea.  My husband is alsp petite and he sleeps with his arms over his head and snores like a bear...When he hoes this he wakes up with a headache and a grumpy mood.

I think what I am basically saying is that there is different kinds of apnea..Maybe all doesn't require CPAP or BiPAP machines but it is something to look into. I use a special body  pillows to keep me into a normal position and I do fine. Your results may vary.

Warmly,

Jackie