Found out some news today....but not surprised

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/8/16 4:55 pm

Because you're awesome with the science and data.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 9/9/16 11:26 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Ya'll and the passive aggressive comments all the time. So sensitive.

Please, remember your citations in your response.

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/9/16 11:47 am

Image result for sarcastic cat meme

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 9/9/16 11:52 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

forgot your source :(

k9ophile
on 9/9/16 5:40 pm

Too any people confuse fact with opinion. Sort of like taking anecdotal evidence as superior to studies published by reputable institutions.

Hell, I have a friend who has a friend whose husband died with his CPAP mask on. It was still on his face when the coroner came to pronounce him dead. I guess I could say that sleep apnea kills based on that, eh?

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Grim_Traveller
on 9/8/16 12:12 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There are a high percentage of positive apnea test results, because people who are sent for tests are pretty easy to diagnose. They present with crtain symptoms, and it isn't hard to connect the dots. An trained janitor actually could read the results.

I think morbidly obese people with high blood pressure and severe chest pains and numb arms are crybabies, just begging to be fleeced by a profit mongering medical establishment. There's no need for them to see a cardiologist. We all know what they're going to say.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/9/16 5:04 am

You are so right.  I never had sleep study because I did not need it. Even when I was MO I never had problem sleeping, snoring or have other issues indicating I have sleep apnea.  The docs don't send people to have he study unless they think someone may have it.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/8/16 11:33 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On September 8, 2016 at 12:17 PM Pacific Time, Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T. wrote:

I honestly, personally, dont buy into the sleep apnea deal much.

I have yet to hear of anyone that has ever gone for a test and been told "nope, you're good to go, no issues!"

They always find out they basically dont breath at night and end up afraid of what theyve been told. Then buy the expensive machine from the study center.

I did a study... found out I (to summarize) only breath 10% of the night (thats an exageration) but refused to buy my equipment from them. They werent very nice to me after that. Instead I bought everything online and tried using for a while but ended up stopping. Had cats whose dander saturated the air filter, and in that time frame when I got the kittens I didnt realize i had developed severe cat allergies since I had cats last

For my surgery I told the surgeon group I was diagnosed sleep apnea and didnt use a machine for the last 10 years.

Either way, you'll get thru this little hurdle and move on towards your goal :) Dont sweat it

Just because you've never seen it doesn't mean that it's never happened.

Basic statistics: you need to talk to at least 30 people, preferably at least 100, before you can assume that what you hear is true for everybody. (Basic citation here, I can dig up further in my old stats manuals if you like.)

You're also suffering from "selection bias." (Summary) For a truly representative sample, you need to talk to a RANDOM group of 100 people. You're seeing only a particular set of people-- people you know, people who complain about a sleep study, etc.-- without getting the "big picture."

If you refused treatment, that's your choice. Suggesting that the diagnosis as a whole is a scam, much less indirectly suggesting someone will be OK without it, is irresponsible.

Not cool, Chris.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Ladytazz
on 9/8/16 12:39 pm

Now you have heard of someone who had a sleep study and they found nothing.

Before WLS, while 240lbs, I had a sleep study to rule out sleep apnea, which it did.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 9/8/16 1:21 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

rock on! as i commented on another, have never heard of that. now if i ever make a post again about sleep apnea i can say i've heard of (i think now) 3 people :) thanks