Pressure issues so far along????

CMR1075
on 9/6/16 8:46 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

So I haven't been feeling great the last 2 weeks, felt like I did before surgery when I knew my BP was high so I've been monitoring it at work. It was running high 135-140/89-91 daily. Couldn't figure out why though. So this morning I get to work and I felt like I was going to pass out, felt super awful. Took my BP and it was 170/111!!! Monitored it for the next 2 1/2 hours and it stayed pretty level there, fluctuating a few numbers back and forth. So, I took myself to my GP and he had to give me an emergency pill he called it to get my pressure to drop quickly. Anyway, long story short - he's testing my kidneys. Says gastric patients are prone to kidney issues because of not drinking enough water or eating enough protein and can elevate BP. He said another culprit could be the calcium I take or the high vitamin B6 levels that were noted after my 6 month post op bloodwork. Which I was at my surgeon's last week and they never shared that my B6 was high. My GP said both of those supplements are also known to elevate BP. Lastly, he said something about muscle mass which I didn't understand. Something about the body not being able to catch up quick enough with the drastic weight loss. So now I have to get more blood work, even though my kidney levels were fine last month when I did my 6 month labs. So now he wants me back on a BP until we figure out what the underlying issue is. He gave me Amlodipine because he said if it is my kidneys, that BP med will be safe to take. I felt awful when he said I'd have to take meds again today cause I haven't had to take them since right after my surgery. Feel like I'm taking a step back :(

Anyone have this issue or hear of these things before?

Grim_Traveller
on 9/7/16 3:31 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Usually we end up with really low BP after WLS. High BP is much less common.

Push the fluids. A lot. It solves a lot of problems.

If you are taking calcium citrate you should be fine. It's calcium carbonate that causes some of the problems he described.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CMR1075
on 9/7/16 5:51 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Yeah I had really low BP in the beginning as to why I was taken off the medication. The Dr did say the same as you that it is unusual, but usually if it happens it's because of the kidney functions (lucky me lol). I just checked the bottle of Calcium that I have but the only place it says citrate is in the ingredients saying sodium citrate. I googled it, but it just explained what it's used for. But I'm gonna take the Dr's advice and stop those supplements for the time being. Besides the BP making me feel off, I haven't felt bad at all. I was still working out and felt great, just a little off. It was only yesterday that I felt terrible. Ah, I guess we will see what happens. 

Grim_Traveller
on 9/7/16 5:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The main ingredient is almost certainly calcium carbonate, calcium citrate, or tricalcium phosphate. The ONLY one you should be taking is calcium citrate. Calcium carbonate won't offer any help, and can cause a lot of problems. Tricalcium phosphate is pretty useless for us.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CMR1075
on 9/7/16 6:01 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Thanks Grim! I appreciate the information on that :) I was thrown a whole bunch of information yesterday and got a little overwhelmed and forgot some of the things he explained. Plus between not feeling well and worried about possible kidney problems, I kinda got tunnel vision to the rest of his discussion lol. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/7/16 9:20 am

Calcium and magnesium deficiencies may cause high BP. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."