I have a simple question but will probably take a complex answer but since you guys are...

bluekrystal
on 9/4/16 2:08 pm

I had the RNY May 10, 16. to possibly get rid of the type two diabetes. I'm Type 1 and Type 2. Anyway, at first, blood sugars were great. Since I didn't have a lot of wt to lose, dr made my pouch a full two ounces w rm to stretch a little bec he wanted me to lose wt slowly. Which I was. But now, since I have advanced to stage 3/4 diet, Im not really losing any wt and I am craving oyster crackers and coffee creamer like crazy and I  am thinking this  may be contributing to my higher blood sugars and no wt loss. I do not know how to get out of this predicament. Any suggestions? I am not really walking much after I get home from work bec I am exhausted already. My blood test results show all my lab nmbrs are perfect, except of course the a1c and blood sugars...Please help w advice. Thanks so much.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/4/16 2:46 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Craving oyster crackers and other things won't raise your blood sugar, but eating them will. Are you eating that sort of thing? How much, and how often?

The best thing you can do for your blood sufars is stivk to dense protein, and avoid all carbs. RNY won't help much with Type 1 diabetes, but a good RNY diet will.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

bluekrystal
on 9/4/16 3:58 pm

thanks for the reply. Yes, I am eating them. My work cafeteria has .5 oz pkgs of oyster crackers at the check out and you can have as much as you want. This literally feeds into my cravings bec the temptations are too big. I just grab a handful of cracker pkgs and my coworkers will grab some for me too. I started eating these in place of having a lunch break bec our office is understaffed so I do not always get a lunch or other break. But I have also noticed that I am going thru 1-2 large round containers of coffeemate a week. I have only had one cup of reg coffee a day for yrs, since the surgery, I have 8-10 cups of decaf instant per day w 4-5 tbsp. of creamer per large cup. ugh...it's almost like I constantly have the  need to shove something in my mouth...and before I know it, I have eaten 8 pkgs of crackers sitting at my desk at  work. at home I am usually eating something but mostly it is raw veggies. im just afraid I will stretch my pouch and my blood sugars are back up in the 300's at least. im actually miserable right now bec of this but don't know how to change it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/4/16 4:10 pm

The original coffee creamer has corn syrup. 2 per a TBs. So it you are getting 4-5 per cup of coffee - you are getting 10+gr of sugar a few times a day.  Add crackers and no wonder your BS is high, and you are not losing ...

Ditch the creamer and the crackers. If you need to add something to your coffee try using unsweet almond or coconut milk.  But don't go overboard with that ' these milks don't have sugar - but they still have calories. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hollykim
on 9/5/16 10:37 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 4, 2016 at 10:58 PM Pacific Time, bluekrystal wrote:

thanks for the reply. Yes, I am eating them. My work cafeteria has .5 oz pkgs of oyster crackers at the check out and you can have as much as you want. This literally feeds into my cravings bec the temptations are too big. I just grab a handful of cracker pkgs and my coworkers will grab some for me too. I started eating these in place of having a lunch break bec our office is understaffed so I do not always get a lunch or other break. But I have also noticed that I am going thru 1-2 large round containers of coffeemate a week. I have only had one cup of reg coffee a day for yrs, since the surgery, I have 8-10 cups of decaf instant per day w 4-5 tbsp. of creamer per large cup. ugh...it's almost like I constantly have the  need to shove something in my mouth...and before I know it, I have eaten 8 pkgs of crackers sitting at my desk at  work. at home I am usually eating something but mostly it is raw veggies. im just afraid I will stretch my pouch and my blood sugars are back up in the 300's at least. im actually miserable right now bec of this but don't know how to change it.

I'm sorry,but you DID say,and I quote," I started eating these in place of having a lunch break bec our office is understaffed so I do not always get a lunch or other break." So,as I said ,if you can eat crackers at your desk,you can certainly eat the protein things I mentioned. 

rebecca110
on 9/6/16 8:58 am - Milledgeville, GA

Hi,  I feel your pain.  I had the gastric band which does nothing for cravings.  Next week I have to have it removed because there is blood around it, and I have become anemic. I lost at first, but over the last year, I have been gaining so that I am back close to my weight loss.

It sounds like your surgery did not totally cure your diabetes and so you need to be back on a diabetic diet like you probably used for years. I will include some things below that have helped me and would help me now if I would do it.  I am very stubborn and do not want anyone to tell me what to do even myself.  So, it is difficult to do what I intellectually know is best for me.

People on this site can be very hard and brutally honest on us. They are the ones who are doing very well and think they have conquered all of their problems.  Good for them, but we all have problems. No one is likely to try to help you who isn't doing well, but I will.

I don't personally like the things you are struggling with, but I have similar struggles with chocolate and sweets and diabetes.  I have been unable to eat much firm protein from the beginning.  It gets stuck and I can't seem to chew it enough. I think my band has been too tight all along. I should have had it loosened because I have done low carb diets in the past that were very successful. I have resorted to what they call sliders which are really poor in nutrition like ice cream and candy and even crackers etc.  May I make a few suggestions that have helped me in the past. Take on your health as a job that will have good results.

Have breakfast every morning that you plan and prepare the night before.

Track every bite of food that goes in your mouth. Yes it takes time.  I use a computer program that computes protein, carbs, fat, fiber and other things.  There are many free ones available. If you don't have time to stop an enter in a computer or phone,  use an index card or any paper during the day to write it on and then add to the program once you are home.

Maybe you need a new job that is less stressful and your co-workers are less helpful in providing you with the wrong food. Think about that possibility.

Maybe you need a vacation or a week of sick leave to get yourself together. Your problem is not weight it really is direct health issue, diabetes.

Do not go to the cafeteria to eat even if it is more social.  Say no thank you to those who try to help you by bringing back the wrong foods. Bring your food to work.

I use a liquid protein shake as a creamer in my coffee.  It is low in calories especially if I spread out a whole carton during the day and has protein which will help with the cravings. It comes in many flavors.  I love the mocha chocolate flavored.  I reserve half a carton and mix it with coffee and freeze it. Then I have it for an afternoon snack,  or you could have that when you come back home in the evenings if you are too tired to prepare food. I freeze it the night before, take it with me and let it thaw during the day or leave in the refrigerator to thaw for that night.

Substitute nuts for the crackers.  They are crunchy and easy to chew enough to make them go down easily. I like to use peanuts in the shell, but that doesn't work at work because they make a mess.  Yes, they do that fat and a few carbs, but you won't want as many of them as you do the crackers. They are a good snack along with chunky nut butters made without additional fat or sugar.  Buy the 100 calorie or 1 oz packs or bag your own and bring them to work.

Keep boiled eggs in the refrigerator.   You can even peel them and store in a plastic bag. They can go to work or grab one anytime at home. Eat one or two alone or with a smear of mayo or a little cheese.  

Baked or boiled chicken can be kept in the refrigerator as well to eat in a crisis or when too tired to cook.

Buy salad already made at the store if you are too tired to throw it together at home.

Limit fruit to one serving a day.  You can take an apple or banana to work to eat when you are craving the crackers. I found eating one on the way home from work helped me when I arrived home.

Eat a small serving of cottage cheese with blueberries for a quick meal at home or work.

You probably learned all of these things for your years as a diabetic.  They still work. Good luck and I hope your read this post.

gram247
on 9/6/16 9:49 am

Your suggestions are great to get back on track!

That being said, I have been very successful in losing over 200 pounds & keeping it off for 5 years.

BUT, every day is a struggle. Some days, I want to eat everything in sight, and others, everything I put into my mouth "gets stuck". There is no rhyme or reason for this. Some days I can eat chicken , others not. 

I always have protein shakes at home for the no food days. The cravings are still there but just not for the same things pre-surgery. I LOVED chocolate & could eat a whole box, now, I can only have one piece, & sometimes it makes me sick! The aroma of chocolate is still enticing. So I don't have it at home. 

You learn what works for you & what doesn't. A food diary is a good idea.. Record how each thing you eat makes you feel, both physically and mentally. 

Good luck on your individual journeys to better health.

rebecca110
on 9/6/16 11:25 am - Milledgeville, GA

Good for you.  Every day is a struggle for the people I have known for five years after we were in a group together for two years.  The first year or two for them was super great mostly.  After then, they all were like me and wanted to start eating whatever they wanted and weight gain started.   

We are told over and over that the surgery is just a tool, but the weight drops so fast at first that we get deluded into thinking it will be easy to keep it off.

Valerie G.
on 9/7/16 11:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Check out Diamond brand cocoa roasted almonds.  They are low sugar and absolutely divine and will make your toes curl for chocolate cravings.

Oyster crackers are good for mindless munching, but add up.  I swapped them out for sunflower seeds.  I get the same salt reward, can eat while concentrating on something and they give me some protein.  I also second a protein drink for coffee creamer.  Iced coffee and protein powder is the only way I might actually "enjoy" a protein drink.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/6/16 12:48 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On September 6, 2016 at 3:58 PM Pacific Time, rebecca110 wrote:

Hi,  I feel your pain.  I had the gastric band which does nothing for cravings.  Next week I have to have it removed because there is blood around it, and I have become anemic. I lost at first, but over the last year, I have been gaining so that I am back close to my weight loss.

It sounds like your surgery did not totally cure your diabetes and so you need to be back on a diabetic diet like you probably used for years. I will include some things below that have helped me and would help me now if I would do it.  I am very stubborn and do not want anyone to tell me what to do even myself.  So, it is difficult to do what I intellectually know is best for me.

People on this site can be very hard and brutally honest on us. They are the ones who are doing very well and think they have conquered all of their problems.  Good for them, but we all have problems. No one is likely to try to help you who isn't doing well, but I will.

I don't personally like the things you are struggling with, but I have similar struggles with chocolate and sweets and diabetes.  I have been unable to eat much firm protein from the beginning.  It gets stuck and I can't seem to chew it enough. I think my band has been too tight all along. I should have had it loosened because I have done low carb diets in the past that were very successful. I have resorted to what they call sliders which are really poor in nutrition like ice cream and candy and even crackers etc.  May I make a few suggestions that have helped me in the past. Take on your health as a job that will have good results.

Have breakfast every morning that you plan and prepare the night before.

Track every bite of food that goes in your mouth. Yes it takes time.  I use a computer program that computes protein, carbs, fat, fiber and other things.  There are many free ones available. If you don't have time to stop an enter in a computer or phone,  use an index card or any paper during the day to write it on and then add to the program once you are home.

Maybe you need a new job that is less stressful and your co-workers are less helpful in providing you with the wrong food. Think about that possibility.

Maybe you need a vacation or a week of sick leave to get yourself together. Your problem is not weight it really is direct health issue, diabetes.

Do not go to the cafeteria to eat even if it is more social.  Say no thank you to those who try to help you by bringing back the wrong foods. Bring your food to work.

I use a liquid protein shake as a creamer in my coffee.  It is low in calories especially if I spread out a whole carton during the day and has protein which will help with the cravings. It comes in many flavors.  I love the mocha chocolate flavored.  I reserve half a carton and mix it with coffee and freeze it. Then I have it for an afternoon snack,  or you could have that when you come back home in the evenings if you are too tired to prepare food. I freeze it the night before, take it with me and let it thaw during the day or leave in the refrigerator to thaw for that night.

Substitute nuts for the crackers.  They are crunchy and easy to chew enough to make them go down easily. I like to use peanuts in the shell, but that doesn't work at work because they make a mess.  Yes, they do that fat and a few carbs, but you won't want as many of them as you do the crackers. They are a good snack along with chunky nut butters made without additional fat or sugar.  Buy the 100 calorie or 1 oz packs or bag your own and bring them to work.

Keep boiled eggs in the refrigerator.   You can even peel them and store in a plastic bag. They can go to work or grab one anytime at home. Eat one or two alone or with a smear of mayo or a little cheese.  

Baked or boiled chicken can be kept in the refrigerator as well to eat in a crisis or when too tired to cook.

Buy salad already made at the store if you are too tired to throw it together at home.

Limit fruit to one serving a day.  You can take an apple or banana to work to eat when you are craving the crackers. I found eating one on the way home from work helped me when I arrived home.

Eat a small serving of cottage cheese with blueberries for a quick meal at home or work.

You probably learned all of these things for your years as a diabetic.  They still work. Good luck and I hope your read this post.

>> People on this site can be very hard and brutally honest on us. They are the ones who are doing very well and think they have conquered all of their problems.  Good for them, but we all have problems. No one is likely to try to help you who isn't doing well, but I will.

I respectfully disagree with this standpoint. Many of the people here who've done very well and are brutally honest have had their share of struggles. Their advice doesn't necessarily come from a perspective of "I'm amazing and let me share my secrets," but rather "I've seen lots of people here fck things up over the years, and here are my suggestions based on those observations."

Nobody's perfect, long-timers and regular posters included. No need to take a dig.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!