Very Hungry!

j3j3real
on 9/3/16 11:21 am
VSG on 08/19/16

Hey everyone! I hope you all are doin well. So, let me breakdown the facts. I had the gastric sleeve done on 8/19/2016 and am doin well. My before weight was 246lbs Day of Surgery was 227lbs and Dr visit on 8/30 I was 216.5. Current weight is 206. Ok so I have been doing a 21 day walking challenge at my own pace but trying to pick up exercises. Here's the thing...most days I am feeling like I am starving. I am on zantac 150 mg already trying to get protein in too but does anyone else think these drinks are too sweet now? They are so nasty to me now. Also, my dr has me doing a 3 weeks post op liquid diet and I am on my last week before I can go on pureed foods. Yay! Hallelujah. Now, I have heard that it can take awhile before your system realizes that you are not hungry anymore. But my stomach is saying what about me now?! I did have a hiatal hernia repaired too so can this be contributing factor for what is wrong with me. I amost feel like the surgery didn't even happen. 

I am so hungry sometimes that I think of food like Homer Simpson. I know I must stay the course but is there anything to help? I'm already a bingo/crossword puzzle/book reading addict lol

Help!

Jeanna

Renren
on 9/3/16 12:18 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

I must have had a lot of swelling in my sleeve, because I didn't feel hungry. But many people feel hungry until they are off the full liquid and start the purées or soft foods. Hang in there, when you start eating meat you will be full so quick you won't believe it. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

rocky513
on 9/3/16 12:45 pm - WI

Zantac is probably not working for you. It's not a proton pump inhibitor that actually stops the production of acid.   Have your doctor prescribe a PPI like Prilocec or Nexium.  Many post ops have to change acid reducers because they are confusing the feelings of excess acid with hunger pangs. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

j3j3real
on 9/3/16 12:59 pm
VSG on 08/19/16

Thank you I will have to look into those.

Deanna798
on 9/3/16 3:54 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I've also found that I just love to eat food, even without being hungry.  A lot of times, it will likely be in your head.  It's best to learn how to identify real hunger as opposed to head hunger.  I'm 1 year out of surgery and I'm still learning.  

I love to crochet and I've been working on projects.  it keeps my hands busy and I'm actually making something of use, so that always helps.  If you don't know how to crochet, you can learn by watching youtube videos. 

I hope you find a hobby to help replace that need to snack.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

j3j3real
on 9/3/16 3:56 pm
VSG on 08/19/16

Omg I love crocheting too! Hey hi five. Yes I'm learning too. I'm also learning that I used to love food. Oh the habits are hard to break. Especially cold turkey. This too shall pass.

rachelp
on 9/3/16 11:09 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

Chew gum! It helps with my head hunger

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/4/16 11:04 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On September 4, 2016 at 6:09 AM Pacific Time, rachelp wrote:

Chew gum! It helps with my head hunger

Be careful with gum chewing.  The problem for many of us further out is that it produces saliva and the stomach expects food to come.  This in turn can be quite a trigger.  Additionally, even though sugar free gum is low in calories/carbs -- they add up if you're eating several pieces a day.  I have found that gum is definitely a trigger for me.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Neesie57
on 9/5/16 11:24 am
VSG on 08/04/15

I tried chewing sugar free gum after surgery to keep my mind off of food, and all it did was give me the worst diarrhea I've ever had in my life. One piece would have been fine, but I ate about 15 pieces, because it tasted so good at the time.  It was a difficult way to find out that I have an adverse reaction to xylitol.  Just be careful before eating to much.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Kerig
on 9/5/16 5:42 pm

I was sleeved on August 9th and I've been hungry since the day I left the hospital.   I was on a two week post op diet, but started eating after 10 days (soft foods).  Ask your doc if you can start solids earlier. I still get ravenously hungry every few hours.   I find I'm eating 6 small "meals" every day.  Still staying within my macros. 

Keri