Starting WLS journey... again

cutebutpsycho30
on 9/3/16 9:27 am

So, here is the story with me. I have been a member of this site for a few years. Last year I was in the process of perusing weight loss surgery ( I wanted the gastric sleeve) however due to some personal issues (both marital and financial) I decided to stop the process. I had convinced myself that I was able to lose the weight on my own- I have read so many stories where people have done it and I figured that I could be one of those people. Well I was very wrong. over the past year my weight has been like a freaking yo-yo- highest being 434.6 and lowest being 409.8 lbs. My current weight is 418.6 lbs. 

I decided in June 2016 that enough was enough and I started the process once again. I had contacted my insurance company and informed them that I was interested in getting surgery. I had my consultation with my case manager with my insurance company and she gave me all the information that I need to provide to them prior to approval- I have to do a 12 month physician supervised diet and have a documented 5 years of BMI over 40. Of course work was hectic so I just barely had my first visit with my PCP to begin my 12 month diet... but its ok because I have now started regaining my motivation for all this again.

I have attended a weight loss seminar at the hospital which will be doing the surgery, and after much deliberation I have decided that I am interested in getting the Roux-en Y as apposed to the gastric sleeve. At first I wanted the sleeve because I didn't want my insides all rearranged, but after really researching both I have changed my mind.

I am now in the process of researching doctors in my area, but there isn't a huge selection so at least the research wont be too difficult. In about 4 months, I plan on having my PCP send a referral to the surgeon so I can meet with them. I have even started working with my finances so I will have the money saved for the $5000 deductible I have to pay for surgery.... I will worry about the 20% my insurance wont cover later LOL.

But I am going to start making my daily visits to this site again as it is very motivational and inspiring... also gives a place to vent if needed!!

But I am looking forward to this journey and this time I am not letting anything stop me!!!

Daniel B.
on 9/3/16 10:31 am - Mansfield, OH
RNY on 01/20/17

Congrats on your decision!  I have just started my journey but I have my doctor, orientation, initial blood work, 1st physicians appointment and ultra sound complete.  I am guessing my surgery will not happen until February or March as I have 6 months of Nutrition counseling to complete for my insurance.

Seems like we will be on this journey together.

MTS31801
on 9/12/16 12:12 pm

Hi Daniel B. My journey is beginning also. I have had my consultation with my surgeon and I just had my first meeting with my nutrition team today. Lots of paperwork to complete and I need blood work and an EKG, after 5 months my psyche eval. I am excited and scared at the same time. Best of luck to you.

MTS31801 

Daniel B.
on 9/12/16 3:03 pm - Mansfield, OH
RNY on 01/20/17

Congrats MTS!  I don't have my first nutrition until early October but all blood work and ultrasound is complete.  I have a scope also scheduled with the surgeon and my psych eval yet to complete.  

Keep your excitement alive and working toward your goal and in no time you will be on the other side as they call it!

:)

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/3/16 12:48 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Just so you know - only 3-5% of people take it off and keep it off without surgery.  That  is the dirty little secret of the diet industry - including well-run university and doctor based programs.  It took me 57 years and yet another 120 pound loss (and 110 pound regain) to fully accept that I was not one of those lucky few. I had my surgery 18 months ago.

At your BMI (over 50) I would look into the DS if you an find a surgeon who has done at least 100 of them.  If not, the RNY is probably the next best.

Best of luck for your journey - you are not ready until you are - and it sounds as though you are ready.

Sharon

cutebutpsycho30
on 9/5/16 2:14 pm

I would love to get the DS (mainly due to my high BMI)

When I first started researching weight loss surgery, that is the one that I wanted to get. but sadly, my insurance only covers lap band, gastric sleeve or RNY. I did alot more research and realized that the sleeve may not be the best choice for me for a few reasons. 

1. I have a large amount of weight to lose. I know that people have been my size and had the sleeve and lost a tremendous amount of weight; but I kinda feel that I may need that restrictive as well as that Mal-absorption aspect.  That is the reason I swayed towards the RNY  :)
  2. I know that people view dumping syndrome as a bad thing.. but I plan on using this as a way to curb my sweet tooth/carb addiction. right now I am slowly working those things out of my eating habits, but I want that negative reinforcement there.

I too realized that I was not going to be one of those lucky people who are able to lose it on my own... heck I have been battling my weight since I was a teenager. I have informed a few people around me about my decision- my husband (of course), my boss, and a few of my coworkers; all have been super supportive of my decision. Looking forward to the next year!!

peachpie
on 9/3/16 4:27 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Like you, I looked into surgery casually about 5 years prior to actually doing it-- and like you, initially wanted the least invasive procedure (I was thinking band). And like you- felt I could do it in my own. Long story short-- I didn't do it on my own. 

I'm now 16 months post op and overjoyed I made the decision. 

I've seen many successful with the VSG- but I'm glad you decided on RNY. Those of us with higher BMI's defnetly benefit from the dual action of restriction and malabsorption.

be active here-- it help tremendously is staying focused.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Mary Gee
on 9/4/16 5:55 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

You may want to get the referral to a surgeon sooner rather than later.  Many surgeons have requirements outside of what your insurance company requires....tests, information seminars, nutrition and psych appointments, sleep apnea testing, etc.  They probably also may have pre-op group meetings once a month.

Good luck to you on your journey.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

cutebutpsycho30
on 9/5/16 2:15 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely do that- i didn't think of that. I go back to my PCP in a few weeks for blood work results and I will get the process started. 
Thanks

MTS31801
on 9/12/16 12:06 pm

Hello Cutebutpsycho30! I have researched for years on WLS. However, at the time my insurance wouldn't cover it. I am now on disability and my doctor has given me a referral. I have met with my surgeon last month and I just had my first visit with my Nutritionist. I also wanted to get the DS but my Surgeon only does VS and RNY. My Nutritionist told me that they were going to try to get me down to a weight so I could get the RNY. I suffer from several health issues such as sleep apnea, HBP, and Diabetes. I too will have to under go a physic eval., weight loss seminars, blood  tests, and EKG, along with nutrition counseling and working out in the gym.

I have to admit this is all intimidating but if it will save or extend my life then I will have to jump through what ever hoops are put before me. I start my food journal and my journey has begun.  Good luck and please accept me as your friend. I would like to compare our journeys as we proceed towards our goals.

MTS31801