OTC and Rx allergy meds can cause double vision.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/2/16 4:43 am

How do I know that? From experiance. ....

In early 2014 I was diagnosed with severe food allergies and environmental allergies.(pollen, dust, etc)   I was told by my doc to take off allergy pills, one or combination of few - including zantac (it is histmine h2 blocker) for hearth burn caused by food allergies.  

I was taking a few of them every day.  And I tried to rotate them once in a while to see what works best ...

Now, that I think back - as I started taking them - I started having double vision... First it was not very noticible...but it got worse over time.  Lately it got so bad that I had a problem driving. I often drove with one eye closed... Yea...crazy. 

My gastro thought I need to bevretested for food allergies...see if I got better (we are working on healing my leaky gut - SIBO and Candida.  ) 

So I had to get off all of my allergy meds..for 5 days.  After 3 days I noticed my double vision went away. 

I still have my "normal" astigmatism... 

I had 2 eye docs And when I complained about double vision - they told me I need new glasses with prism. That The glasses should be able to correct It.  . The thought my double vision was a result of myopia and lasic surgery I had in 2000 and cataract surgery I had in 2009...  No one conected me taking daily allergy pills and double vision. 

I am glad I decide to have get tested for allergies. Btw- I still have my normal environmental allergies, but my food allergies are no longer are showing on the skin scratch test... I am not cured - and I need to be careful...

But I no longer need to avoid some foods. (or restaurants) .... 

My food allergies showed app 3-4  years post op RNY...at the same time I was dealing with a lot of gut issues, had a few surgeries... 

It you take one pill - like alleges or zantac- you may get it, if you take 2 or more daily - your changes are more than double...if you take them long term - the incidence of double vision increases... 

Good luck allergy sufferers... I know I need it. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."