a weight off my shoulders. cats out of the bag

jamrodriguez
on 9/2/16 12:54 am

It's very brave of you to "come out" so to speak even knowing your father would have a difficult time processing it. But it's even braver that you had surgery after what happened to your brother. You made an important decision for yourself and your future and you deserve to be proud of that. Unfortunately far too many people are quick to judge and feel it's their place to share their negative opinions about your life choices. It can be hard to hear from those you care about, but at the end of the day it's your life and your choice.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/2/16 4:00 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Chris, Given the history in your family you are incredibly brave and inspiring.  Of course your father was frightened, but now you can be open with everyone.  And the person who said you were "deceitful and am a liar, and a bad Christian by not posting on facebook" is not a friend!   People who say things like that are deflecting their own issues. 

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

nitethyme
on 9/2/16 9:00 am - Etobicoke, Canada
RNY on 12/18/15

Thank you for sharing your story! 

Referral: September 2014; TWH Orientation: December 9, 2014; Social Worker: March 2015; Nutrition Class: May 5,  2015; Nurse Practitioner: May 20, 2015; Psych Evaluation: August 2015; Nutritionist: September 2015; Meet the Surgeon: November 6, 2015; Pre-Op: December 4, 2015; Scheduled Surgery: December 18, 2015; HW 367; SW 341

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/2/16 11:24 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Your seld-professing Christian friend has issues, or may just be ignorant of the facts of WLS.  When people really understand that conventional diets only have a 3-5% success - and the issues are more complex than just diet and exercise and  I cite that diabetes clears up with the surgery - before the weight loss - and that was unexpected by doctors and they are still trying to figure out why.  Yeah, they say it is hormones and insulin production, but they reallly don;t know the exact bio-chemical reactions going on.

I regret that you saw disappointment in some people's eyes.  If they knew more about the science, I believe you would see admiration for taking the steps necessary to improve your longterm health.

Sharon

j3j3real
on 9/3/16 11:31 am
VSG on 08/19/16

First I would like to say Congratulations! Now, on to my thoughts. First, God's got you...you probably prayed more than anything before and after this surgery. People have to understand that if it His will then it will happen...Secondly, it is Your DECISION. You have to do what makes you happy. When you tell people is still your decision. Plus you can't tell everybody because not everyone is going to understand. Case in point my mother knew and she put up a billboard to all my family. Did I want them to know no not at that moment...but since she was the one helping she felt the need to tell everyone. Now when I call my Aunt they answer the phone with hey Skinny. Like for reals...ignorance is everywhere trust me when I say that. But you knew you had to get healthy so good for you! Stay up and keep up the motivation.