Fluids

Liottley2016
on 8/31/16 7:20 pm
RNY on 04/25/16

It was just a sip and I was thinking to myself this has not happened in a while so I am getting better. So this vomitimg will continue indefinitely if I eat and sip?

I am 4 four months post-op what should I be able to eat? I had one banana, 5 ounces of gingerale, 1/2 cup of chai tea, 4 arrow biscuit, tablespoon of rice/sardine, less a sip of water, just had 2 bites of watermelon and my stomach is now hurting like crazy but it's helping me the gas pain. I usually drink gingerale but I read on this forum it's not good so I decided to try water again but now after throwing up I feel weak and having abdominal pain.

rocky513
on 8/31/16 7:49 pm - WI

Didn't your surgeon give you a meal plan?  Bananas, watermelon, rice, ginger ale, biscuits are all full of simple carbs and sugar.  Many of us get dumping syndrome from bananas and watermelon.  Simple carbs will give you killer gas pain and cause you feel miserable.  You need to be eating protein first, then veggies.  Skip any fruit until you reach your goal weight. you should not be eating anything made with flour or sugar.  The things you are eating may be creating your problems.

Many of us can not drink plain water.  Herbal teas are a good choice if they are sugar free.  I drank a lot of peppermint tea and ginger tea with stevia to sweeten it.  Many of us had to play with temperature of fluids to find the right combination.  Drinking with meals is NEVER allowed after surgery.  Ginger ale is carbonated and can cause stomach upset after WLS.  Not getting enough fluid will cause you to feel nausea.  You have to force yourself to drink.  Set a timer and take a sip every ten minutes.  If you do this, you will start to feel better in a few days. Dehydration is a ***** Get on an acid reducer ASAP.

Greek yogurt sweetened with Mio or sugar free jam, cottage cheese, ricotta baked with a little marinara and mozzarella cheese, canned tuna, deli meats, string cheese are all good choices to start out until you start feeling better.   Remember to take tiny bites and chew until applesauce consistency.  

Click on this website link.  It's a great place to find WLS recipes, tips, ideas on what to eat.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Liottley2016
on 8/31/16 7:56 pm
RNY on 04/25/16

I can't eat meat at all I throw it up! I can eat ground beef. I have the watermelon because I can't get fluids in except chai tea! I eat one banana a week or every 2 weeks because of my anemia. I have just today been able to tolerate arrowroot biscuit. 

I will try again with the water but drink at room temperature.

Thank you so much for the info. So so greatful!