Sweets

Tdheason
on 8/29/16 3:13 pm
RNY on 06/27/16

i want some chocolate, can I eat sugar free candy. I don't have a big sweet tooth but need some chocolate. Is any sweets fine as long as it sugar free? I found some sugar free chocolate chips and wasn't sure if I should eat some. I have not dumped and don't want to.

chassibi
on 8/29/16 3:15 pm

No. You just had surgery, have a chocolate protein shake. Eat a chocolate calcium chew. Those sugar free candies have sugar alcohols--wouldn't try that right now but that's just me. 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

rocky513
on 8/29/16 3:30 pm - WI

Sugar alcohols that are used in sugar free foods to  make them taste sweet won't make you dump, but they will cause gastric distress in the form of gas and diarrhea.  Sugar free candy is the worst thing you can eat.  They have no nutritional value, they make you feel like crap, and they will trigger the need for sweets.  You are newly out of surgery.  Your focus needs to be protein.  I second the suggestion of drinking a protein shake.

Try not to replace old favorites with sugar free versions.  Now is the time you should be working on changing everything about how you relate to food.  If your "go to" when you have stress is chocolate, then that is something you need to work on.  You will survive if you choose to not eat chocolate.  You really don't NEED chocolate.  Old habits are hard to break.  Getting the head stuff figured out is the hardest part of the journey.

Try to figure out why you feel you "need" chocolate.   If you don't really think about the reasons you gained weight and correct them, you will have a hard time being successful with your weight loss surgery.  

Many of us became obese by having an "I want..." attitude and acting on every impulse.  Want and need are two very different things.

You had a major surgery to get healthy.  Don't fall back into the same old habits.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Grim_Traveller
on 8/29/16 8:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I love this reply. I couldn't agree more.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/16 3:32 pm - CA

I agree with Chassibi!     You could make some instant sugar free chocolate pudding using a Premier Protein Vanilla Shake as the milk and that will give you protein and chocolate fix in one.   

Take one Ready to Drink vanilla shake and mix it with a small box of instant sugar free chocolate pudding.  Mix until thickened.   Refrigerate or eat immediately.   

Also, on the Calcet Calcium Chews, those are my go to when I want chocolate "candy"  They are NOT candy, but satisfy my chocolate craving for a piece of "candy"  

Good luck! 

~Nik

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/29/16 4:51 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Careful with the sugar free stuff, on one hand it might satisfy a sweet tooth, then again the sugar alcohols could have you running to the toilet.  I totally get having a sweet tooth but sometimes when you give in it triggers a taste for the real thing, so it might be a little early trying to find out what works for you. Someone else suggested if you really gotta have some chocolate go for protein shakes, that's something you can do & it won't derail your weight loss goals. 

I like Quest protein bars, it gives me the most protein bang for my calorie buck, but I still think of it as an overblown candy bar, but at least it doesn't trigger me off to get the real thing, & don't fall for the net carb thing, if you're counting carbs, count all of them.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Tdheason
on 8/29/16 5:23 pm
RNY on 06/27/16

Thanks everyone

northernjewlz
on 8/29/16 6:07 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/02/16

I made my own candy using gelatin and water drink flavourer.  Pretty good and satisfy the need for candy.

HW:398 SW:360 CW:347

rny March 2nd 2016 Dr Lindsay.

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/16 8:32 am - CA

I had a 1/4 of a Quest bar yesterday and dumped.      Even being out this far, somethings just don't work for me.   So far, I have had no issues with SF pudding as a once in a while treat, but completely agree sugar alcohols are just as bad as real sugar when it comes to the side effects

Deanna798
on 8/30/16 10:45 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I can't eat the pre-made sf pudding cups, they make me so sick.  But I can do the powder sf pudding with lactose free skim milk.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20