Newbie -- Alchol after WLS?

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/16 10:22 am

My red flag goes up majorly when I see someone post I am not a big drinker. No one who drinks on occasions ever posts that. 

I am an alcoholic. I was a drinker before and after surgery. I thought I could control my drinking. Yeah Ok. 

bandgirl
on 9/1/16 3:41 pm

Wow, so you are calling me a liar?  (NO ONE WHO DRINKS ON OCCASIONS EVER POSTS THAT). 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/1/16 4:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On September 1, 2016 at 10:41 PM Pacific Time, bandgirl wrote:

Wow, so you are calling me a liar?  (NO ONE WHO DRINKS ON OCCASIONS EVER POSTS THAT). 

No, she said she's skeptical.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/16 4:30 am

I am sorry that you feel that I think you are a liar. Just read about alcoholism and WLS. Transfer addiction.

I am a food addict. 

bandgirl
on 9/2/16 8:10 am

Just going off of your words.  (NO ONE WHO DRINKS ON OCCASIONS EVER POSTS THAT).  This is wrong because I do drink on occasion and I did post that.  I'm trying to get all the info I can and wanted to know from people who have already had the surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/16 10:45 am

I didn't mean to offend. I actually posted not just for you but for others who may be lurking thinking it is okay to add alcohol back into our diets. Some people can drink. But others can not. 

My red flag goes up when someone posts something like I was not a big drinker. I mean you are saying you drink tequila and a beer. So I took that as a shot and a beer. 

Next month I will be three years out. I wished I used my honeymoon faze to my advantage. Don't get me wrong I am happy with my weight loss. But I still have some weight to lose.

My weight loss stopped as soon I started drinking first on a holiday. Not stopped stopped. But slowed down.  Then it was the weekend. It is very hard to share this. I am not on a high horse. I am actually a pretty caring person who understands the loss that can happen after becoming an alcoholic. No one does it on purpose. 

After WLS our bodies do not process alcohol the same. It hits us a lot faster. Drinking one drink makes us some of us legally drunk.

Keep asking questions. There are a lot of people here to help. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/2/16 12:18 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On September 2, 2016 at 3:10 PM Pacific Time, bandgirl wrote:

Just going off of your words.  (NO ONE WHO DRINKS ON OCCASIONS EVER POSTS THAT).  This is wrong because I do drink on occasion and I did post that.  I'm trying to get all the info I can and wanted to know from people who have already had the surgery.

Yet it seems that the only advice you're listening to (based on your replies) is from the people who say "yes you can drink and it will be fine" and ignoring the "this can be a Very Bad Idea" comments.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

bandgirl
on 9/2/16 12:42 pm

Getting advise from every WLS vet helps all of us.  I did acknowledge that we should be careful.  What I don't accept is when someone says no one who drinks on occasions ever posts that.  That is directed at me anyone can see that.  What I have learned from the posts is I will watch if I do drink.  I have a big birthday coming up next year and it is nice to know that I can have a few drinks with friends.  Yes, I'm talking next year that is how much of a drinker I am.

tiga
on 9/4/16 7:22 pm

I am 3 month post op (vsg)  I too like my margarita & mexican food.  At first you can only drink a very small amount anyway.  I usually only drink on Friday night when a friend & I celebrate the end of the week.  I don't drink any other time.  When I do drink, it is only one drink.  I have not felt any addiction to alcohol.  I am still continuing to lose weight, I've lost 40  pounds so far!  I think like all things, you need to know yourself.  If you have had an addictive personality to anything in the past, then don't start drinking.  I do not have an addictive personality and am doing great.

Tiga - Sleeved on 5/31/16. Starting weight 218. Surgery weight 211. Current weight 198!   Goal is 150.

bandgirl
on 9/4/16 7:44 pm

Thanks that sounds great.  So, if you had to do the WLS again would you do the surgery and would you do the sleeve?